Options when making a car insurance claim and not at fault

rob oyle

I've had a look online and assumed the information could be found but alas, I'm here now!

I was involved in a car accident in Dublin city centre last night, involving four cars. All four drivers exchanged details and the gardai were on the scene later and took note of everything. The last driver rear-ended the car behind me, which carried into my car and I bumped the car in front (no visible damage there, thankfully). Damage was not massive for any of the cars but the driver at the back admitted liability in any case.

Fast forward to this morning, I've logged the details with my insurer and they gave me the choice of a) making a claim on my own policy and they pursue the insurer of the driver at fault, or b) me contacting the driver's insurer directly and claiming directly (meaning my insurer wouldn't be involved).

I always assumed I wouldn't have to make a claim from my policy, if I do and the claim hasn't been resolved between the insurers when my renewal comes up (in 2 months) I won't be able to use my NCB?

For anyone that pursued a claim on car insurance claim before, what is the (best) process to follow?

I am going to call their insurer shortly anyway but I want to make sure due process is followed.

I look at this 2 ways,

You’ve paid for fully comp, so avail of the services and let them work on your behalf, they will sort your vehicle out, and reclaim what’s due, and in due course, you will be reinstated back to the position prior claiming.

But in the meantime, you will have paid your Excess premium of €X amount and you will have a claim registered against you.

Do you still have to notify another insurance company of a claim on your policy, even thought it was just temporary!! Not sure how that’s perceived, or if it has a bearing on a future renewal.

Most insurance companies will try to coral you into making a comp claim when others are at fault, as they have you locked in for a foreseeable time.

Personally, I would steer clear where possible of using the facility of comp claiming.

I’d analyze it this way.
Is the person insured, and,
Have they accepted liability.

I’d the answer to both are yes, I’d be more inclined to go directly to their insurer.

If complications set in, you can always at any point claim from your comp.

It's probably better to claim against the other person's insurance. It might mean a little more work on your part than going through your own, but it means you don't have the hassle of covering the excess up front, and you don't have a claim against you while your insure is getting repaid by the other insurer.

Back