Opinions on Kiltipper area (part of Tallaght)

FTB81

Hi,

I'm a FTB and am considering buying a 2 bed apt in Kiltipper Gate / Marlfield area. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the area? From driving around up there, the age group living there seems young enough. How's the public transport? Does it take long to get onto the M50 in the mornings?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Re: Opinions on Kiltipper area

Kiltipper is a part of Tallaght, reasonably good facilities, poor transport , despite the Luas. Got to be up early (pre 7am) to avoid the traffic. I live in Kiltipper close, and the traffic to the M50 is slow if you get on the road after 7am and before 9.30am

Hi,

I live in kiltipper Gate, there about 3 months now, it is a good place for a FTB to start off, yeah the transport isnt that great but as there are more and more people moving up that way hopefully it will get better in the next year or too, yeah would agree that traffic on the way down to M50 can be heavy but wouldnt let that put you off cos its the same everywhere you go now, kiltipper gate itself is grand and not really much hassle, sometimes you can hear a bit of noise from behind the development near killinarden as some people like to use that road down to the square for a bit of the fast and furious action in their done up cars but overall am happy there and is close to everything we need including shops/pubs etc...

Thanks for that! It was actually apartments in Kiltipper Gate that I was looking at. Are you pleased with the apartment? I went to view a couple and they seemed very spacious. Having to leave at around 7am to get on M50 is a bit off-putting though!

hey im living in kiltipper gate a year now. the area has gone down hill since i moved in, wouldnt recommened it for FTB unless they dont care where they live. Traffic is mad to get on m50 you have to leave before 7 and if you have young kids forget about leaving them out to play on their own it just isnt safe. If your a woman you cant even walk down to the local shop on your own without having to watch your back and yes this does apply to during the day.

Kiltipper used to be a really nice area, back when Ellensborough was the only built-up part of it.
It has gone downhill somewhat with the sheer volume of apartments and houses that have sprung up and the nightmarish traffic that came with them.
My friend used to live there and I couldn't believe how much the place had changed in a few short years.

Despite that, there are worse places in Dublin you could live.

there sure is worse places to buy for FTB'S tho i have recently bought and was looking at kiltipper and decided against it... it actually did used to be nice tho now they have opened up the road network back down to tallaght and built god knows how many apts it has defo gone down hill. i drove up there 3 times to check out the area at different times of the day and was never empressed at what i saw, just rough lookin kids hanging round and rubbish all over the place. everyone oviously has different opinions on this and dont mean to be dishing the area at all for those that live there as i do have a mate living up thereand like it tho it just wasnt for me...

I don't agree with these comments at all, I've been living in Marlfield for nearly a year and I love it, since we moved in we've acquired a regular bus route (54A)and a butcher's. A laundrette and pharmacy are opening soon. Tallaght has lots of amenities, it only takes by 25 mins to walk to the luas and the square. The area isn't half as bad as the posts seem to say, the gardai have been out on kiltipper way catching people for speeding and I have never felt nervous walking to the shops. Most of the people living in the development are young couples like ourselves or families. We have got to know most of our neighbours and they're all lovely. Where else on the southside of Dublin can you buy a starter home for less than 350K?

I agree with last opinion that there are ammenities within 30mins walk but what is there around kiltipper and marfield itself. A launderette that has just opened the same with the butchers and pharmacy. Thats grand but if you have kids there is nothing for them to do except hang around the estates which alot of parents seem to be happy to let them do. Marfiled might be a lovely place to live but i live in kiltipper and every single night there are groups hanging around. Yeah theres a bus service now but only in last couple of months up until then there was no bus service. Im sure the guards are catching people speeding but what about the people who are hanging around estates annoying residents. Not everyone living within marfield and kiltipper are couples alot of them have kids. I can count at least 30 couples living in kiltipper who have kids.

I have to disagree also about some of the comments on Kiltipper, fair enough there are a few rough people about but you get them everywhere,am not sure where people are from when they have moved o Kiltipper as if you are not used to seeing rough people like that etc it would be a shock and a put off but at the end of the day if you want to go and pay well over 450k for somewhere that has none of that and full of established families then maybe that is what you need to do, there can be rubbish around the shops I agree but what can you do, i think there is a good commuinity spirit around the part of kiltipper i live in and most of us just want to get on with it and enjoy living where we do even it is only for a few years, i think if we all continue to bad mouth our own area then what is the point in living there or trying to even make it a little nicer, it is so hard for young people to afford anywhere in Dublin that we have to live in places like Kiltipper for the time being or even for the furture so if we can make it any way better than that would be a positive thing rather than complaining about it, Marlfield was on the news last night for car bombs or something over by the shops so obviously that isnt good news for all of us but if we cant afford to go anywhere else we just have to put up with it for the time being............

I have been living in the Marlfield estate since its infancy, about 4 years and while it was very rough around the edges at the start it has settled down quite a bit. There are still some dodgey characters and we are very close to 2 of the largest council estates in Dublin - Cushlawn & Killinarden but I have certainly never felt physically threatened in any way. There can be problems with litter, fires in the council estates, fast cars but as someone mentioned before, for sub €350k a bit of roughness has to be expected. I take the M50 & I certainly don't leave at 7am - 7.50am is more like it, which isn't the worst in the world.
One thing that we can all do to help the area is to get involved - I used to be on the residents committee and it is vital for the whole area that if you have a problem or see anything going on, call the gardai. They have been great in Marlfield and we have built up a very good relationship with them. They are vital in an area like Marlfield/Kiltipper.

I dont know anything about the area but I used to live on the 54A bus route and it is so unreliable and very infrequent. I wouldnt want to be relying on it. Also, why would you want to spend your youth in someplace that far from town with shocking traffic? I just dont understand it. People have said it is alright as a starter home, but do you see yourself either earning a lot more in 2-3 years time, or the place shooting up in value?

My place has gone up about €150k in the years that I have been there but of course it is all relative. Luckily I don't have to rely on the bus but the fact that a taxi into town is about €25 doesn't help. I had intended only to stay for a few years but I can't afford to buy elsewhere on my own.

Anyone know when the pub in Marlfield is opening? Expect all the riff raff from kilinarden & cushlawn that are barred from the old mill/killinarden house to turn up there, gonna be a disaster IMO

The last I heard about the pub was that Louis Fitzgerald had pulled out so I don't know who the new occupants will be. Its great having the new chemist though.

haha this thread has made me laugh! go and see some other places around Dublin and then come back and say Kiltipper is a kip hahaha

What did all the complainers do when they were a teenager? In bed by 8 I suppose.

if you have young kids forget about leaving them out to play on their own it just isnt safe
what about the people who are hanging around estates annoying residents

Back those statements up please. How is it not safe? Did something happen to a kid you know? How are the people hanging around annoying residents? Did they do something on you?

If its such a kip then why dont you move out? Let me guess............you cant afford to.

in response to prevous thread the residents of their estates shouldnt have to back up there opinions just come down to the estates and have a look for yourself. I was out for a walk on tuesday evening and saw two young lads not much older then 11 smoking a cigeratte between them. Now the parents are totally to blame their probably out buying the cigerattes for them. Just take a look at marfield with the car gettin blown up in the underground car park. Wheres the security for that complex?

Dont believe all the BS about kiltipper being bad. I'm here nearly two years now with no problems. So what if two 11 year olds were smoking a fag... when I was growing up in firhouse kids tha age were smoking that I knew but it didnt make me start. Theyre not your kids so fook em. Happens everywhere and 2 kids smoking a fag makes you nervous?... get a grip .. unless youre covered in petrol walking by these lads I wouldnt be too worried.

Bus route is great, shops great, butchers excellent and new pub opening in a very short while. Louis fitzgerald is running it and it will be run properly. The crap that are barred from other pubs in the area won't last 5 mins in it .... looks too classy for their type anyway.

Dont believe all the BS about kiltipper being bad. I'm here nearly two years now with no problems. So what if two 11 year olds were smoking a fag... when I was growing up in firhouse kids tha age were smoking that I knew but it didnt make me start. Theyre not your kids so fook em. Happens everywhere and 2 kids smoking a fag makes you nervous?... get a grip .. unless youre covered in petrol walking by these lads I wouldnt be too worried.

Bus route is great, shops great, butchers excellent and new pub opening in a very short while. Louis fitzgerald is running it and it will be run properly. The crap that are barred from other pubs in the area won't last 5 mins in it .... looks too classy for their type anyway.

I have to agree entirely with this if anything I think the area is improving proper bus service, shops and facilities its a far cry from what we had previously. I'm very happy here and feel quite safe.

I was out for a walk on tuesday evening and saw two young lads not much older then 11 smoking a cigeratte between them.

While I agree its not a terribly nice thing to see two young lads doing - its hardly a crime of catastrophic proportions. Nor would I feel particularly nervous about it.

I have a number of friends in Kiltipper/Ellensborough/Marlfield and they seem to be happy enough.

Back