Opinions on buying a bathroom suite from B&Q

g1g

Anyone buy a bathroom suite from B&Q? Thinking of buying but would love to know opinions on quality etc. thanks

was warned by my plumber NOT to buy bathroom suite from B&Q...he said the fixings were very poor quality.

I'm a bit of a B&Q fan, and I've bought a lot of stuff from them, from insulation to flooring. I've found everything very good, even if they are more expensive, generally, than builders' providers.

G1G, We just had a new bathroom suite fitted. We bought everything from tubs and tiles after spending two saturdays driving around Cork comparing quality and prices, but If your happy with what you see in B&Q You should make a list of what you need and get the plumber to come with you and see what he thinks. I took three different trademen to shops to get their opinion and they had no problem with doing that as it benefitted them as well as me.

I got my bathroom in B&Q before hiring my builder (because my bath is a non-standard size and had to be ordered 6 weeks in advance) and yes, the quality was bad. The original flush mechanism in the toilet was flimsy plastic and never worked properly and the feet for the bath were useless too and had to be replaced. If I was doing it again I would never darken the door of B&Q.

I've bought/fitted a number of B&Q items without issue. Many of the items they stock are by the same manufacturers that the builders providers sell, so then it's just down to a matter of price/convenience where you purchase.
Leo

Both builder's providers/plumber insisted that I didn't get B&Q items because they had problems on a regular basis with toilets etc. acting up and the parts were impossible to get.

I looked at B&Q and like other posters felt the quality was very low. I ended up buying most of it online with E bay from a UK outlet, which had tons of recommendations, so I felt very safe buying online. The delivery costs from Manchester for a large sink, taps, pedestal and loo was a measly £50.00. As a bye the bye, the tap I wanted was on sale here for €600.00 I bought it for £100.00 from that company.

horusd, could you PM me that ebay seller? Looked in international trading on Tramore Road today and turns out the shaped bath we wanted from b&q was cheaper there just from displayed prices.

Have a look a www.trueshopping.co.uk. I got free delivery to Southern Ireland...ordered on Thursday..delivered on Monday! Fantastic prices...delighted with the service. I bought a P shaped bath...the 1500mm version was about 1100euro with B&Q....I paid about 300stg last year. Also I ordered some stuff from Victoria Plumb....fantastic prices...good quality...great service...but they did charge 150stg delivery to Republic...so better if you are ordering alot of stuff (even with the delivery you will save a alot) Have a look at true shopping first...cannot fault them.Good luck!

I was astounded at the price of taps here in Ireland compared to UK. Also found that most shops did not stock anything but the basic (except for B&Q...they have a few more designer looking ones)My choice was to pick from a catalogue...mite as well pick from internet!You need to wait till they order them in for you...they get everything from UK anyway....so cut out the middleman and order youself direct.

Also a word on B&Q service...I waited almost 2 months for doors that they did not have in stock.I was told the delivery time was 2 weeks as they had to come from warehouse in UK...and it went on and on week after week...follow up phone calls and trips to the shop etc. The annoying thing was that they had them in stock in a store in Dublin...but would take 6 weeks for delivery from thier Dublin store to Cork!!! So I cancelled the order in Cork...drove to Dublin and bought them there...and was astounded when the same 2 doors were 50euro cheaper in the Dublin store!!!

bought my new bathroom suite (not from b&q!). Approx how much would it cost to get the old one taken out and new one plumbed up do you think?

Back