Opinion of Compliance

mike2017

I'm hoping to build a house next year but can't afford a builder led project. I'm looking at direct labour as the most likely affordable route. That brings me head to head with the bank. The costings template states I'll need a certificate of compliance. While I hope to have an Architect attached they may be unable to issue me one as I can't provide all the ancillary certificates needed. I could get them to sign an Opinion of Compliance but while that might satisfy a potential buyer down the road, I don't think a bank will accept it.
So my question is - Is a Certificate of Compliance mandatory for a self build to draw down a mortgage from any Irish Bank? Anything less doesn't appear to qualify.

The only alternative is build for cash with direct labour and get an Opinion of compliance afterwards to make onward sale possible/easier?

I could afford a builder led project in 3/4 years but then my age starts to play against me and my job may be different by then, all playing against my potential mortgage hopes.

Your architect can do an opinion of compliance with building regulations and with planning permission.

If the issue is that you are not planning on meeting with this regulations, it is obviously going to cause an issue.

Building costs are absolutely crazy at the moment and even builders themselves are saying they are finding it hard to get contractors and their costs have shot up. Unless you know what you are doing and have good contacts, I would caution about doing it yourself. If you have an electrician or plumber booked in and he gets a call from a builder to work on the same day as he's booked in with you, who do you think he'll go with? The one off job or the guy who will give him a load of work? It will take you a lot longer and a lot more heart ache doing it by yourself.

Back