Opening a Euro Account in the UK

Runner1

I have a significant sum of money (around 65k euro) in a fixed term deposit account (EBS) in Ireland which matures next September. I moved to the UK a number of years ago and after the goings on of the past few months cant see myself returning any time soon!

Getting slightly worried about the safety of my deposit and was thinking of moving it out of Ireland. Dont really want to change it all to £ sterling as dont know how long I will be in the UK and dont want to have to suffer from exchnage rates/currency conversion charges if I decide to move back to Ireland some day.

Considering opening a Euro account in the UK, has anyone any experience of this? There seem to be a limited number of accounts around and all seem to come with fairly hefty charges. I have no problem with locking my money away for 12 months once I get a good return. Will get penalised for withdrawing the money before maturity but am thinking I would rather be safe than sorry!

Thanks

I am in the process of opening an account with barclayswealth.com/international/savings.htm

They have 12 months deposit and you can decide if you want your account to be in Euros, USD or £££ ....I am actually opening this one in USD.

Back