Open Learning Courses in UCD

Brendan Burgess

Founder
UCD allows people to take a module in an ordinary undergraduate course. So you attend lectures, tutorials, practicals, etc. and sit an exam at the end of it. (Or you can just do an "audit" version where you sit in on lectures but don't do tutorials or exams).

There are 350 different modules from law to economics to history to science. Most require no previous experience of the area.

The most difficult part is trying to navigate the application, registration and payment process.

It's €500 per module (or €350 for the audit versions)

Brendan

Last edited:
On your latter point, how do you go about it. Several interesting modules there but how do I found out timetables and how much it costs?

Hi Alkers

They did my head in last year when I tried to register for a course. I did manage it eventually. But they were no help in UCD. Their administration is terrible. In fact, I think that I paid twice for it but lost the will to sort it out.

Go here:

This is what they say

To get started, you need to first complete and submit an online pre-registration form. Applications are currently closed and will reopen August 2022.

What do I do once I am pre-registered and how do I select my modules?

• After your pre-registration has been approved, you'll receive an official offer of a place on the programme.
  • Once you've accepted your offer, you will receive an email telling you when you can select your modules and confirm your attendance.
  • You'll then be able to log onto your UCD student account (https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/W_WEB_WELCOME_PAGE (SISWeb)), to select and register for your modules, agree to UCD’s terms and conditions, and to confirm your contact details.
1) Despite what they say, registration is actually open , so hit this button:
1660231983943.png
(It's possible that registration is open only for returning students at this stage, but I don't think so.)
2) I think that is straightforward enough. Unless you have already registered in which case it's more complicated.
You don't make any choice or pay any money at this stage.

3) They will write to you offering you a place.
4) They you accept it.
5) Then they will write to you telling you what the modules are
6) I think you then select the module and you pay for it.

7) This is what they say about fees
The fee for Open Learning is €375 per audit module or €500 per credit module. (How to pay fees at UCD). Please note that a small number of modules are 10 credits, which will incur a higher fee.

Audit is just attending lectures. Credit is doing the full module, practicals, exams etc. Mine was €500 which was great value.

Brendan

The timetables was another huge problem.

I had no idea when lectures were beginning and I got no help from the ALL people. They either didn't respond to my calls or sent me meaningless emails in response.

I messed around for ages, and eventually figured it out.

Brendan

I decided to apply again.
Kept getting user error messages.
Eventually I got through it and now I get this message

1660232852033.png

So, I go back to My Application and get

1660233081481.png

So, I think, I have applied.
But I just don't know whether I have or not.
It is extremely frustrating.

Brendan

OK, looking back on the email I got from them earlier today. It looks as if I have "Pre-registered" which seems to be different from registration.

So the "apply now" button lets you "pre-register" which is like expressing interest, I think.
Later they will accept your pre-registration.
Then from the 1 September you can actually register for a course.

"Pre-registration is now open for all students interested in taking Open Learning modules in the coming 2022-2023 academic year, commencing in September

Anyone wanting to take modules this Autumn trimester must pre-register, you are not automatically re-enrolled as an Open Learner each academic year. If you do not pre-register and accept your offer to study in a timely manner, you may be delayed in selecting your modules when Registration opens for Open Learners on 1st September.

If you are planning on taking modules only in the Spring term, you may pre-register and select modules now, or you will have another opportunity to pre-register in December."

If you want to find out more detail about a particular course, then Google the course number and name e.g.

That will probably bring you to the department's description of the course including a list of the lectures. It does for Earth Sciences , not sure if it does it for other subjects.

Brendan

worth noting that the Universities are roling out a new program called Micro Credentials which allows you to take accredited courses and get the relevant ECTS points and then potentially stack those into a larger qualification

My goodness, you'd nearly need to offer a module in how to register for modules - seems a nightmare!

I’m a UCD academic. The administrative systems are a perpetual struggle for us as well. The last President had the idea that large universities should be run like start-ups: constantly ”innovating” and “breaking things.” Well, they managed that last one alright. The computer systems we use have been constantly changing for years without ever bedding anything down. So have the organisational charts. The result is that staff—with the best will in the world--often have no idea what the process is to accomplish a task. Worse: it’s almost impossible for staff to know what students and prospective students experience as they go through the process.

Much of this chaos is the result of administrative bloat. UCD has become extremely top-heavy and all of those administrators have to justify their jobs. They do that by “innovating.” The cost for all this relentless “innovating” is borne entirely by the non-administrative staff and the students.

I followed that link to see what courses UCD is making available on youtube. I should have known.

Sorry... I couldn't help it. But the sentiment is the same. 3rd level institutions are focussed on the money. Academia appears to be secondary to that.

I like the idea of modules and working on a degree in small steps but the small steps are expensive.

I’m a UCD academic. The administrative systems are a perpetual struggle for us as well. The last President had the idea that large universities should be run like start-ups: constantly ”innovating” and “breaking things.” Well, they managed that last one alright. The computer systems we use have been constantly changing for years without ever bedding anything down. So have the organisational charts. The result is that staff—with the best will in the world--often have no idea what the process is to accomplish a task. Worse: it’s almost impossible for staff to know what students and prospective students experience as they go through the process.

Much of this chaos is the result of administrative bloat. UCD has become extremely top-heavy and all of those administrators have to justify their jobs. They do that by “innovating.” The cost for all this relentless “innovating” is borne entirely by the non-administrative staff and the students.
What a pity UCD doesn't have a top notch business school, with world leading academics to solve this problem in Business Administration.

I did several courses in UCD back in the 2004 to 2007 years.

Just went to Belfield and registered using the old paper system.

I was walking through the college during the week and they have large posters in their library building for the Life Long Learning Courses.

Maybe you can still just walk in?

Back