Open/ closing Velux windows

Logo

A friend is having velux roof windows installed in a living room with a vaulted ceiling. However the velux provider doesn't actually provide a means of opening/ closing or any way to clean the velux windows besides climbing up on the roof. I'd appreciate replies from any posters who were able to come up with a solution. Thanks

Have you looked at the electric opening Velux windows? Velux Integra I think they are.

My friend is restoring an old house RedOnion. The last thing he needs now is an additional cost for electric veluxes. It's not affordable at the minute but thanks for replying

Hard to reach Velux windows normally have a cord for opening/closing. Which is a pain when it eventually breaks/comes off. As happened to the one in my narrow skylight chute in the bathroom. And there's no easy way to get to them for cleaning inside or out.

My friend is restoring an old house RedOnion. The last thing he needs now is an additional cost for electric veluxes. It's not affordable at the minute but thanks for replying
id suggest its worth enquiring.

the other alternative is that you have a pole with a grab handle that can be used but if they are very high anything bar an electric one is a false economy.

Thanks. Does anyone have a link to a grab handle that might be useful? Also the electric option is on the nice to have list but an unexpected cost of a replacement roof takes priority

Last edited:
Thanks. Does anyone have a link to a grab handle that might be useful? Also the electric option is on the nice to have list but an unexpected cost of a replacement roof takes priority
I had the same problem for opening & closing. There are official poles available from Velux as far as I know.

I bought a long arm fluffy mini paint roller in B&Q for a fiver & its perfect 7 it won't scratch the velux handles or frames. They're also available in telescopics.

like this but the mini version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TELESCOPIC-LONG-REACH-PAINT-ROLLER/dp/B00DHFXXH2

Do most Velux not rotate nearly 180° to facilitate cleaning both sides from inside. I know mine do.

Do most Velux not rotate nearly 180° to facilitate cleaning both sides from inside. I know mine do.
Yes, if it's centre pivot they should.

@Logo how high is the window from the floor?
Here's some examples of poles. You'll find cheaper versions, but the Velux branded opening pole extends to 180cm, and you can get a 1 metre extension pole also.

Is it a Velux window, or a 'velux style' window?

The window to floor will be approx 20 feet so not reachable at ground level. Not really sure if it's a velux window or velux-style window. Will just need to clean and open/ close when required.

Looking at a leaflet now and it states that it's a VELUX product. Thanks, we will follow up with them

A wooden brush handle with a hook screwed into one end. Use the hook to open and the other end to close

Thanks kenkin for the info. It's not a a great advert for velux windows though...

I use an 8 foot length of 2x1" with a big hook screwed into one end, have been using it 20 yrs now BUT if they are 20ft up then a pole isn't too practical. I have to say I have never washed them in that time, the rain does the outside and the odd time I might clear away cobwebs with a cloth on the end of the pole but they are not dirty looking even at this stage, not enough that you'd notice anyway and I'm a lot closer than 20ft to them!

Electric is his best option even if it is costly, there is no other easy answer, I wouldn't worry about the cleaning.

I have a Velux window and pole. They are expensive. I had occasion to contact their shop in Dublin recently and I did not find them very helpful.

I use an extendable boat hook that I bought in Lidl. But I don't think it would reach to 20ft. It extends to 8ft at most, plus my 6 ft = 14ft. You could stand on a 6ft ladder I suppose.

This is only useful for opening and closing them.

I'd suggest for the few times a year that you need to clean them (the rain does a good job on mine in the meantime) then a long ladder is the best option.

Back