online site to start investing with - 5k+ per month to invest - help?

P

pc983

Hey all,

I have about 100k in cash currently and i want to invest it. I also have a very high paying job where i will have a minimum of 5k per month to invest.

I'm looking for advice on what would be the best thing to do.

some details first:

I'm thinking long term (10yrs +) - Not in this for the short run, I'm not a novice to knowing how the stock market works etc - read a couple of the popular investing books ("one up on wall..." "a random walk...") and know that this is a long term game.

I'm young - 23 - no children yet, have very little expenses, no debt, etc, so i can afford to be quite aggressive in my selections. however, at the same time i do want some low to medium risk index fund type stuff in there, at least to start.

I'd like to control the money i put in every month myself so some kind of online brokerage site would be ideal. one where i can move money from my internet banking or something into pretty easily whenever i want, no paperwork, no ringing up brokers and whatnot. I want something simple that i can manage myself. I see Sharewatch mentioned a bit here - would that be the best thing for me? Are there other sites better? Should i use an Irish site? etc etc

To start off i won't be putting money into individual shares, more like the iseq, s&p500 type stuff preferably until i get comfortable and more knowledgable about individual shares.

forgive me for not using the search but i wanted to get the most up to date info on what people are using to invest via an online broker.

any and all help appreciated. thanks.

I think you can afford to go and get some professional advice

Then maybe come back and share it here

I think you can afford to go and get some professional advice

Then maybe come back and share it here

I'd prefer to get some advice here for now at least

That's what this forum is for is it not?

With all due respect, if i can't get some help here and have to go to a financial adviser i doubt I'll be back to share it here.

Have you read the key posts (in particular the AAM and IFSRA guides to savings & investments) and some of the many other threads on regular contribution direct equity investing?

If I were you, I'd paper trade for 6 months to a year to see how you get on. Set up your own system and do not go real until it works for you.

Don't rush - you have plenty of time.

Hey all,

I have about 100k in cash currently and i want to invest it. I also have a very high paying job where i will have a minimum of 5k per month to invest.

I'm looking for advice on what would be the best thing to do.

some details first:

I'm thinking long term (10yrs +) - Not in this for the short run, I'm not a novice to knowing how the stock market works etc - read a couple of the popular investing books ("one up on wall..." "a random walk...") and know that this is a long term game.

I'm young - 23 - no children yet, have very little expenses, no debt, etc, so i can afford to be quite aggressive in my selections. however, at the same time i do want some low to medium risk index fund type stuff in there, at least to start.

I'd like to control the money i put in every month myself so some kind of online brokerage site would be ideal. one where i can move money from my internet banking or something into pretty easily whenever i want, no paperwork, no ringing up brokers and whatnot. I want something simple that i can manage myself. I see Sharewatch mentioned a bit here - would that be the best thing for me? Are there other sites better? Should i use an Irish site? etc etc

To start off i won't be putting money into individual shares, more like the iseq, s&p500 type stuff preferably until i get comfortable and more knowledgable about individual shares.

forgive me for not using the search but i wanted to get the most up to date info on what people are using to invest via an online broker.

any and all help appreciated. thanks.

If I were you, I'd paper trade for 6 months to a year to see how you get on. Set up your own system and do not go real until it works for you.

Don't rush - you have plenty of time.

I suppose i could but it seems like a bit of a waste of 6 months tbh. i'm not going to be getting crazy into active trading or anything, at least not for now - just drip feeding money into some of the most popular indices.

i really just want to get my money into something that isn't a savings account where i'm hopefuly at least beating inflation. then i can start to think more actively.

appreciate the suggestion but a paper trade for 6 months just seems like a giant waste of time to me.

*Clubman - thx, i will check out those posts you suggested.

Back