Online House + contents insurance

Re: Key Post: Online House + contents insurance

How do you work out the rebuilding cost for house insurance? and what happens if you under insure your rebuiding cost? or over insure ?

is there a website?

This one has always baffled me too.

UP to now I have always quoted the market value/sale value of the house as the amount for buildings insurance.

But many co-workers have told me that this is over-insurance as it would only take a fraction of your house value to rebuild it.

Is there a rough percentage you could use?

The Society of Chartered Surveyors have a [broken link removed] which explains how to estimate the rebuild cost for house insurance purposes. AFAIK it's updated every year.

Re: Key Post: Online House + contents insurance

This one has always baffled me too.

UP to now I have always quoted the market value/sale value of the house as the amount for buildings insurance.

But many co-workers have told me that this is over-insurance as it would only take a fraction of your house value to rebuild it.

Is there a rough percentage you could use?

Any time I ring an insurance company for a quote I ask them. They usually have a ready reckoner for such purposes... they'll base it on the sq ft of the house and the location of it...

Most of them just use the SCS figures which are available to all.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][broken link removed][/FONT]

Quick question: Britton Ins were cheapest last year for my contents only insurance. I've just got my renewal from them, which has gone up & which also includes they say a E7.50 charge for "Claims Assist" from a separate NI company. Anyone know anything about this claims assist & whether it's worth it?

Can anyone advise how to calculate rebuilding costs when getting home insurance - do i need to get a builders quote or is there a reference table or ready reckoner based on the value of the house available

As already mentioned above start here

[broken link removed]

and get a (reinstatement cost) valuation survey done if necessary.

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but BOI doing 50% off Home Insurance special offer until 31st March. Call 1890 604 605 .....not much time to do it though.

Did anyone try AA Insurance? I've been with them for the last year both for car and home and I found them the cheapest by far. My house insurance is 261 for this year 205000 rebuildings and 50000 contents.

oh sorry just saw the word online don't think you can do online insurance with the aa but not 100% sure

Re: New on-line insurance broker

Mentioned in today's Indo. Only doing motor insurance at the moment:

Its seems to me that they wont quote first time home insures.

Read the first line of the assumptions states" You have been claims-free for the last five years"??

Does anyone know of an insurance company that will insure timber-framed houses?. Any of the online insurance website I have looked at, will only insure concrete-bricked houses.

If your mortgage is with EBS thengive AA a call they give you a 99 euro discount straight off. They were by far the cheapest for me this year for car and house. I moved both of them to FBD last year for the same reason.

I was getting a renewal premium from 123 for €298.

I have been with them for approx 6 years and didn't really do the shopping around bit, but this year decided to.

So I got quotes from Quinn and GetCover for €178 and €173. I let 123 know about this and they matched the €178 deal.

Amazing how they were able to knock so much off to keep my business.

So lesson is, SHOP AROUND !!!

RMCF,

If 123 didn't give you the best price in the first place and were prepared to charge you €298 until you found them out, then why reward and encourage this type of practice by giving them your business?

Disclosure - I have an interest in house insurance

Good point RMCF - I guess people (myself included) can become lazy when it comes to change.

Since I read this thread I just looked at getcover and it quoted me €100 less than my policy at 123.

My approach was slightly different though - I emailed back 123 and told them that I had received a quote cheaper by €120 or so. If they now match this then I have increased my saving to €120 instead of just €100 - so I'm charging 123 an extra €20 for not getting me a better deal !! If they say no, then I'll just go with getcover at €100 saving.

I am certainly going to be shopping around and haggling everything down from now on.

Divorced person and insurance?I got a quote online for house content insurance. The difference between declaring myself "single" and "divorced" was £8 more for divorced. Why is that? I have been divorced for over 10 years and use my maiden name. Can I consider myself "single"when filling in forms or would that be lying?

Back