Online dating

Sunny

Has anyone tried it over here? A friend of mine has just returned from new York where it is popular and was going to give it a go but I think we turned her off the idea with our reaction! Just wondering if many people over here had tried it and how they found it.

I'm happily married but if I wasn't, I'd have no qualms about it - it would probably be my preferred method of meeting someone in that you are probably more likely to get a suitable match and the whole process may cut out a lot of BS - provided common sense and general personal safety precautions are taken.

My brother recently married his girlfriend, they met on maybefriends.ie.
They had both been in long relationships that hadnt worked and were late 30's. They're a perfect match and so happy together.

I'm married but if I wasnt I would definitely log on, for a bit of fun and if it led to something else then thats a bonus. Its hard to meet people in pubs and clubs these days I think.

no shame in online dating i suppose, hope it works out well for you sunny.

Not really the shame thats the problem. We just all figured it would be full of strange people!! But I suppose plenty of people have tried it so must have something to offer.

people are strange.
theres a song about it i think. :)

i am happily married for 6years now so doesnt apply to me but if you think online dating will work for you sunny then go for it.

people are strange.
theres a song about it i think. :)

i am happily married for 6years now so doesnt apply to me but if you think online dating will work for you sunny then go for it.

Thanks, I would but I reckon my fiancee would castrate me!! I would be crap at covering my tracks as well. Always figured it would be too much work to have an affair! Don't know how people do it

Its fun - and its a great way of meeting someone with similar interests (particularly if you dont dig the pub scene).
But it can be pretty harsh.
Sometimes people will start chatting to you and then when you send them a pic they just cut all contact (this happened a friend of mine and it seriously put her off - I explained to her that it doesnt mean there is anything wrong with her looks - just the particular person may not have been 'into' her).

There is also the problem of people re-inventing themselves on the internet. I met one guy who described himself as an occasional smoker and slightly overweight. When I met him he was very overweight and a chain smoker! His pic was pretty old as well, but there is no way of knowing that from a profile.

And sometimes you can chat to someone online or via email for ages and really get along but then when you meet them there is just no spark in person. So that can be frustrating if youve invested a lot of time in messaging over a number of weeks.

And then I suppose its prudent to be careful of the 'weirdos'. Another friend of mine met a guy who was totally normal in all his messages and within an hour of meeting was asking her if she would dress up in fetish gear and do odd things to him if the relationship worked out - he had not hinted at all that this is what he was looking for with the messages on the dating site. Needless to say - the 'relationship' ended there and then :)

I would say go for it - but remember the things Ive mentioned.
And Id also advise meeting people quickly, not dragging on messaging for weeks on end - because if you do end up meeting and no spark in person its disappointing.
When meeting someone in person that youve met online, always meet in a public place and always let someone know where you are and arrange to check in with your friend or family member at a pre arranged time and also when you are home let them know - basic safety - same issues could just as easily arise if you went on a date with someone youd met once in a bar.

Also make the first meet up brief - that way if youre not digging it you dont have to give up a whole saturday night to the date - maybe a lunch date to begin or something.

A lot of people who are not too computer savvy think there is something 'weird' about online dating, but I dont think its any different than any other way of meeting someone.

A guy in my office is married to a woman he met online. I myself had some successful dates from maybefriends.ie and I know some other relationships that have worked out successfully from it.

Thanks Truthseeker. Sounds like there is a book in there somewhere!! I will tell her to have a look at maybefriends.ie

Thanks Truthseeker. Sounds like there is a book in there somewhere!! I will tell her to have a look at maybefriends.ie

Ive met far more weirdos in 'real' life than I ever have on the internet!!!!

I believe Parship.ie is popular as well - have one friend who did quite a bit of dating from that one.

I wouldnt exactly call it online dating but I got chatting to a guy online once. Website in question didnt allow passing on of contact details like email etc but he mentioned to me where he worked. I figured I liked him and wouldnt mind meeting up though he didnt know this til I phoned him at work and we exchanged numbers and met up that weekend. We will be married 3 years in May.

Thanks, I would but I reckon my fiancee would castrate me!! I would be crap at covering my tracks as well. Always figured it would be too much work to have an affair! Don't know how people do it

i have to agree sunny. it must be damn hard work not to mention expensive and mentally exhausting to carry on an affair.

I wouldnt exactly call it online dating but I got chatting to a guy online once. Website in question didnt allow passing on of contact details like email etc but he mentioned to me where he worked. I figured I liked him and wouldnt mind meeting up though he didnt know this til I phoned him at work and we exchanged numbers and met up that weekend. We will be married 3 years in May.

I like that. Perfect example of why women should take the inititive more!

Not really the shame thats the problem. We just all figured it would be full of strange people!! But I suppose plenty of people have tried it so must have something to offer.
Hi Sunny. I met my husband on line about five years ago. After emailing for a while I decided that I wanted to come to Ireland to check him out. So I boldly went to telecom, got his landline and gave him a call. After that it was phone calls as well as emails. Came to Ireland for six weeks three years ago and the following fall came for good. We are now married almost two years:) I was a widow with three grown up children, two grandchildren and four step-grandchildren. Alas too late to start a family here but there you go. We visit my folk in Canada quite often and everything is tickedyboo.

Great Post.

I am now single since last year and had considered online dating as most of my friends are now married/coupled off and I am not really into the pub scene and quite shy.

Hi Sunny. I met my husband on line about five years ago. After emailing for a while I decided that I wanted to come to Ireland to check him out. So I boldly went to telecom, got his landline and gave him a call. After that it was phone calls as well as emails. Came to Ireland for six weeks three years ago and the following fall came for good. We are now married almost two years:) I was a widow with three grown up children, two grandchildren and four step-grandchildren. Alas too late to start a family here but there you go. We visit my folk in Canada quite often and everything is tickedyboo.

Rock on!!!!! Thats a brilliant story!!!

Great Post.

I am now single since last year and had considered online dating as most of my friends are now married/coupled off and I am not really into the pub scene and quite shy.

We will match you up with someone on here?

I am totally not into the pub scene even though I was a student at the time I met the other half

We will match you up with someone on here?

Ha ha. Deadly idea. Who would you place her with? Suppose you would have to examine past posts to build a profile. This could be a nice sideline business for askaboutmoney!

Great Post.

Dont dig the pub scene myself.

You should defo try the online dating - another option with it is they organise nights out (dinner usually, and then drinks) for members of the websites (well maybefriends used to), and you can go and just get to meet lots of other single people with no pressure.

Ha ha. Deadly idea. Who would you place her with? Suppose you would have to examine past posts to build a profile. This could be a nice sideline business for askaboutmoney!

we'll take submissions from the singles

Back