Online Car Scam

Comments: Hello,
My name is SILVER ,I''m really interested in your car , i came across it advert and it really set attractive to me i will like to know if you still have it for sale.What is your last price of selling and the state of condition of the car?i will like you to send the pics if also available for proper viewing , Because i need to present it to my wife for her 40years birthday i would be very glad if you can get it sold to me. hope to read from you soon.
Regards
.Tel:
+447035950805
+447035950799
+4470359 51983
Thanks.

That's what my girlfriend just received on her car that is for sale. Seriously, if you're going to scam at least learn to type english properly and make it sound authentic. The UK numbers are a little bit of a give away too.

Here's another one:

Comments: I would like to know the last price for your car?

Who the hell says I'd like to know the "last" price for a car?

Same scam going around on a BMW 535D, reg 05CN3343, seller supposed to be Paul O'Reilly ([email protected]).

Just for info.

I wonder does the actual owner, Mr. Paul O'Reilly know his car is being advertised?

Possibly a stupid question.
They ask for a copy of the Western Union Transfer but are ok that the MTCN number of the Western Union transfer is hidden. How do they manage to get the money from Western Union, without having the MTCN number?

Thank you so much for your post Louise. I saw this ad on Carzone.ie and thought it might be too good to be true so I did a check with Motorcheck.ie like yourself but as you said it seemed ok. I was also a victim of this exact scam regarding an Audi about a year ago, and some man gave me a story about how he bought a car for his brother but his brother died, and he would only meet in Manchester if I was definitely going to buy. Luckily I didn't take it any further but that is what made me double check and Google the registration number of this Mini and luckily I found your post. Thanks for saving me a lot of drama. The name the scammer gave me was 'Robert Host' and funnily enough also gave me two different names. When I asked him for a reg number to do a check he completely evaded my question. I told him then to forget it and it sounded like a scam, and the ad came down. A few months later it was back up only with a different name and a different email address. Buyer beware!

Also, here is the ad in Carzone at the minute: [broken link removed]

Interestingly the phone number is still in use, I received the following e-mail for a car that I'm SELLING:
"Hello
I am interested in your ad sales,
e-mail me the following terms of sale corresponding.
1, the name of the item
2 How long have you used:
3 How many owners :
4, I hope, that are currently available for purchase:
5; last asking price:
Tel: +447035950805, +447035950799."
I am getting really suspicious since the only replies I've had to my car ad were all scams, so I now stick bits of text into Google.
I have no idea how the scam may work, but I'm not keen to find out.
The only thing is... I still need to sell the car.

I'm trying to sell my car on Carzone for the past week or so, have received so many dodgy emails I have decided to repost them here for other users to reference so they don't get caught out. Email 5 is my favourite so far :rolleyes:

Email 1:
Name: john

Phone No: 447045737205

Email Address : [email protected]

Ref/URL: xxx

Comments: I would like to enquire about the 2004 (Make and Model)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Email 2:
Name: Paul

Phone No: 7024029545

What is your Last Offer..kindly email me the current condition and the picture to view it if it ok by me.
Looking forward to read from you..

Thanks.

Paul.

Email 4:
Name: johnjames

Phone No: 447045737205

Kindly quickly get back to me with your last price, if is still for sale...

Best regards.

[email protected]

+447045737205

Email 5:
Name: ramsey

Phone No: 08083309547

Ref/URL: xxxxx

I saw your ad and are interested in buying your items, and I have red on the condition of objects .... and I'm okay with the price falls there, and my mode of payment will be by cash certified checks good problem to have clear in your bank account within 2 to 3 days of state, the shipment, my shipper will be in place for the pick up after receiving the payment and when you cancel your account. favor me with the following information so that payment can be issue and send as soon as possible.

Note, I just want you to know that if you can get all this, there will be an excess fund for you, that will not affect the original price you are willing to sell the car.

......... Your Name
Address ..........
City / Postcode .............
State ............
Your phone number and number of Land, Land ...........

so kindly remove the advertising on the net ... Thank you,

Ramsey

Oh my god Thank god I found this forum I too was nearly a victim of this. Was just waiting for my loan to come through to put money through to western union and something just didnt feel right. I cant believe that there are lowlife scumbags out there that would actually make up a story that the car was belonging to his dead brother to try an con people. Im so angry. Just grateful that I found this forum in time!!

I've had my car on Carzone too, and have received ENDLESS amounts of these emails. I also had two Nigerians attempting to rob it from me when I met them to let them view it. Luckily I had met them in a busy shopping centre carpark instead of the countryside where they suggested. Carzone is dangerous, have your wits about you if you want to advertise through it. Real buyers will almost always ring rather than email. Beware of ones who ask for details or pictures that are already in the advert, and of those who don't attempt to haggle. Don't even bother with ones who offer to 'ship' it from you!

One of these on Gumtree as well.

The cheap car dead brother car in liverpool email.

Kinda Lazy at this stage thought they would at least change the story a bit.

Real buyers will almost always ring rather than email.

That is not necessarily true, when I have been looking for a car in the past I used email because I had a record of everything i.e. what I asked already, what they answered / didn''t answer, was this a car I had seen previously and ruled out etc.

So I guess it's a case of paying attention to what's in the email and looking for anything suspicious...

[broken link removed]

Link for scam on carzone, here is reply i got, will make him work for my money lol going to keep him stringing along for a fair few weeks.
These people are sick, god knows how many innocent/naive people have been shafted.

Hello,

The car's condition is as new and has no outstanding finance, no previous crashes or anything negative you need to concern yourself with.
Now I am in the UK and the car is here as well. The car is still Irish registered
I have a shipping contract already paid so the final price is 5250 eur + 150 eur shipping taxes.

Let me know if you need more info as I am looking for a fast sale.

Regards,
Paul

Pat harte

Pat harte is back on autotrader selling a 04 audi A4, high spec for 4500.
has a dead brother who the car belongs to, he is in US
looking to meet in liverpool - didnt get tot the stage where he asks for the wire trasnfer.

autotrade ie and uk is full of this.

I did research car scams, not well enough obviously, but hadn't actually read about one this detailed, showing documentation and the fact the Western Union transfer was between a relative and yourself, nothing to do with them.

Anyways I only joined this forum to inform people about it in case they find themselves in the same situation.

thanks Louise, I nearly got scammed myself, and its not a pleasant feeling. Well done and thanks for the post

Hi There,

I'm just wondering has anyone got any further update on the person pretending to be "Ann Hand"? I came upon this post and recognised the name but when I saw the passport photo, turns out I know this girl!

I will notify her immediately!
DubShelley

Pat Harte

Hi there,
I was very attracted recently by the add about AUDI S line for 4500.

I received by email the story line about the perfect car and his dead brother in Liverpool. I was very eager to go to Liverpool even in next day to buy that car, but something pushed me to google his email address [email protected]

Then I was reading the article in this forum. Thank GOD there are forums and people like you because otherwise I even could go to WESTERN UNION and send 4500 which would be a very big mistake.

But there is another thing which bothers me now,
I am trying to sell my car,
Then from nowhere a guy from Dublin saying that is moving to UK for his new home wants to buy my car.

He says that he will send me a cheque and then whenever clears on my account I should give him a call and someone will pick up the car.

I said well there is nothing wrong about that really.
The only thing I was worry about to give him my address, but I gave him the address for sending the cheque to. Then after day or two he send me e-mail saying would it be OK if the amount on the cheque will be with 1200 extra so I will give the 1200 to the guy who will collect the car because this will cover the shipment prices etc.

I said well, OK if you trust me with that then OK.

Then on Friday last week he said that the cheque was sent to me and I should let him know as soon as I get the cheque.

Yesterday I received e-mail where he asks did I receive the cheque.

Well I still didn't receive any cheque and I will not do anything more until i see in my hand and it will clears in my account.

Do you think this could be another cheat?
Maybe some of you experienced similar thing?

BTW his email is very similar to email address from Ms Anne or Pat
I wont put that e-mail for the moment in case he is real, but I will let you know about that if it was a fake buyer.

Audi S Line for 4,500? I think I paid 35k or something like that. Must have been 1972 or something? Sometimes if it quacks like a duck...............

Please do nothing when the cheque comes. Save your energy for something really productive, like cutting your front lawn with a knife and fork.

Same scam only in reverse. Do not waste your time.

I have done more research about that, (It is productive :p as I inform other people), this is indeed another scam, the cheque which is going to come will be probably a loan cheque which will clears in 2-3 days but that money will be deducted from your account in a month time.

Please do not wast your time like I did.

his e-mail is

[email protected]

His e-mails are always written with bad English...

Just have a look on few e-mails he sent to me:
Hello.I will like to know if this vehicle is still available for sale?am interested in the purchase of the vehicle,i saw the advert for sale and i will like to buy if it is still available for sale. i will like toknow the full present condition details of this vehicle and also the pictures email to me if still available for sale,am presently based in(Scotland)I will be making arrangements for the payment and pickup as soon as you agree a deal on the vehicle. I will like you to please get back a.s.a.p to me if the vehicle is still available,Thank you..email me to [email protected]
Alright, Thanks so much for the details,i am happy with the condition of the car from what is said on the ADS and from your email,I asked for all this as am sure I will not be able to come see in person and so will just need to know everything before buying...What is the final price???I will need you to consider the fact that i will be responsible for the collection/pick up(through a shipper)and i will be covering the expenses and so i will need a fair price, Once we agree a deal on the vehicle,I will arrange for the payment to be sent to you and payment will be in euros cheque so when you acknowledge the payment then the shipper can come for the collection of the car once cheque clears.
Hello

I will be making arrangement for the payment to be effect asap and the cheque will be on its way by next week,. However I will be needing a little assistance from you in order to have a smooth transaction with this car and pick up..You will be receiving the cheque for the sum of €2950 from my client and once you receive this cheque,you will take €850 for yourself for the car(Once payment clears) and the balance of €2100 is for the shipper who will be picking up this car,the shipper is not only picking up this car for me,he will also be getting some merchandise/furniture (for my new home) for me from Dublin and so this funds will cover all that with the expenses of the pick up and delivery of this car and so I will just like you to help forward the balance to the shipper after you have cashed the cheque you will be receiving from my client and am hoping that this will be no problem??all shippers details will be provided to you by then.

Please confirm all is good to go and so I can speed up the payment arrangement.
Thank you. Type in google "Car Buyer Scam", there is lots of articles.

Please delete similar e-mails, this is a complete waste of time.

hi there,
i was very attracted recently by the add about audi s line for 4500.

I received by email the story line about the perfect car and his dead brother in liverpool. I was very eager to go to liverpool even in next day to buy that car, but something pushed me to google his email address [email protected]

then i was reading the article in this forum. Thank god there are forums and people like you because otherwise i even could go to western union and send 4500 which would be a very big mistake.

But there is another thing which bothers me now,
i am trying to sell my car,
then from nowhere a guy from dublin saying that is moving to uk for his new home wants to buy my car.

He says that he will send me a cheque and then whenever clears on my account i should give him a call and someone will pick up the car.

I said well there is nothing wrong about that really.
The only thing i was worry about to give him my address, but i gave him the address for sending the cheque to. Then after day or two he send me e-mail saying would it be ok if the amount on the cheque will be with 1200 extra so i will give the 1200 to the guy who will collect the car because this will cover the shipment prices etc.

I said well, ok if you trust me with that then ok.

Then on friday last week he said that the cheque was sent to me and i should let him know as soon as i get the cheque.

Yesterday i received e-mail where he asks did i receive the cheque.

Well i still didn't receive any cheque and i will not do anything more until i see in my hand and it will clears in my account.

Do you think this could be another cheat?
Maybe some of you experienced similar thing?

Btw his email is very similar to email address from ms anne or pat
i wont put that e-mail for the moment in case he is real, but i will let you know about that if it was a fake buyer.

scam! Scam! Scam!

2009 Ford Focus

Hi,

So glad that i have found this thread. I nearly got caught with one of these last week. A 2009 Ford Focus, the ad is on carzone.ie, its price was €15295.

I must have sent an email from the carzone site but i had emailed about alot of cars so i couldnt really remember when i got the email...

[email protected]

Hello,
The car is in perfect condition and has no outstanding finance, no previous crashes or anything negative you need to concern yourself with.
It's still Irish registered.
I am in Spain now and the car is here with me but very difficult to drive it here and also hard to sell it here due to opposite driving side.
Final price for the car is €7,300. We can negotiate the shipping price if you are serious interested.

Let me know if you need more info as I am looking for a fast sale.

Best regards,
Yvonne
I then replied to say i was interested etc. I asked if she could send me the ad as i couldnt find it. i got this reply...

Hi,
Pics in the attach.
Since I have a written contract with eBay, they will handle this sale for me and they will act as a third party between us, they also helped me with the shipping contract.
If you are interested in buying my car I will need your full name, address and phone number, after that eBay will contact you and explain you all the process.
They will explain how we can have a safe deal for both of us.
The shipping cost is €600 but I think is fair to pay it both, so the final price including shipping will be €7,600.

Thanks,
Yvonne

I was pretty sure that Ebay don't do sales unless the car is for sale with them.

I asked what part of Spain she was in, I said I would come over and look at the car myself.

She then replied...

Hi,
Due to my job I cannot make the sale in person.
I work as a stewardess.
Let me know if you agree to buy my car through ebay.

Thanks,
Yvonne

I didn't bother reply...

Back