One up for equality???

redbhoy

The High Court has ruled that Portmarnock golf club in Dublin is not discriminating against women by not allowing them to become members.

In a ruling this morning, Mr Justice O'Higgins dismissed the action taken by the Equality Authority against the club.

Women are allowed to play the course, with or without accompanying male members, on payment of green fees.

A spokesperson for the club said he is very pleased with the outcome of the case.

Just to clarify - this decision was made by the High Court and overturned, on appeal, a previous ruling by the District Court to the opposite effect. Seemingly the Equality Authority are investigating the possibility of a further appeal. See RTÉ News for more on this.

one up for common sense.
Freedom to associate is part of Irish law. Why shouldn't men be allowed to make their own rules for their club.

This is only because they have a drinks licence. If they didn't serve alcohol they could exclude whom ever they liked (just like the various women’s groups around the country).
As long as there is no discrimination of employees of the club I don't see the problem.

jem said:
Freedom to associate is part of Irish law.

So is protection against discrimination on .

Why shouldn't men be allowed to make their own rules for their club.

Of course - as long as they comply with the relevant legislation.

While I don't disagree with the principle of having a men-only club, this isn't really the case with Portmarnock and many other golf clubs, where the ladies are allow to play & lunch, but not to vote. If it's a men-only club, why don't they show the courage of their convictions and stop the ladies from playing too.

RainyDay said:
While I don't disagree with the principle of having a men-only club, this isn't really the case with Portmarnock and many other golf clubs, where the ladies are allow to play & lunch, but not to vote. If it's a men-only club, why don't they show the courage of their convictions and stop the ladies from playing too.

Nice thought but of course they'd be crucified.

Any idea if there are women's golf clubs in existence? Would male players give a toss?

RainyDay said:

Presumably because the would probably lose their drinks license. As mentioned earlier, this is arguably the real nub of the matter. As far as I know anybody can set up any sort of exclusive club that they want but if they discriminate on the gounds set out in the equality legislation then there may be repercussions (e.g. no drinks license, no grant aid etc.).

Update: I see that Purple already said most of what I just did above! :eek:

I have no problem with a men only Golf Club, and I'd be happy to let them have a drinks licence, I'd be happy to let them completely ban women or allow women as guest players. Whatever they like.

But... I wouldn't join a Men Only Golf Club. I wouldn't accept a free membership card to Portmarnock. And I reserve the right to consider those members who wish to preserve the no votes for momen situation to be sexist assholes.

I don't agree with their stance, But I'll happily defend their right to hold it.

The only equality question here is are women entitled to set up a club that excludes men as full members? If yes then there is no reason for the equality authority to get involved. As far is I know there is at least one golf course in Dublin (In Leopardstown I think) where men can only play on weekends.

It's a funny thing equality. If the travelling community built a golf course and excluded settled people, I don't think many would care, but do the reverse and there's trouble. Women can get away with all sorts of inequality that would bring hell fire and brimstone down on any man who did the same.

In other words, those that beat the drum hardest on equality are often the most unequal in their attitude.

Let's all have a bit of cop on. If the sad gits in Portmarnock want to keep their club exclusive and feel that allowing women as full members would be a bad thing, then let them off. Who cares?

Publish their names every year and say they're sexist. But beyond that forget about it. It's not an equality issue, it's a personal choice issue. If we banned clubs like Portmarnock, or forced them to conform, how would be know who the sexist assholes were???? It serves a very useful purpose.

-Rd

I don't care what exclusive clubs get set up either but I don't agree that they should obtain any imprimatur from the state (such as in the form of licenses to sell alcohol) if they discriminate on the grounds laid out in the equality legislation.

But... I wouldn't join a Men Only Golf Club. I wouldn't accept a free membership card to Portmarnock. And I reserve the right to consider those members who wish to preserve the no votes for momen situation to be sexist assholes.

I don't agree with their stance, But I'll happily defend their right to hold it.
That's pretty much how I fee about it as well.

I agree with daltonr on this.

And I'll throw in Ladies car insurance as an example of discrimination working the other way.

Also Life Assurance.
You have clubs that are female only-ICA, mothers and todlers groups, womens associations etc
You have other clubs that limit their membership base- you have to be in business to be a member of the Chamber of Commerce, The boys bregaide you have to be of a certian religion etc etc
I have to say IMHO this country has gone far to PC. I belive a club should have the power to refuse membership to anyone they want.
I belive that business should have the right to do business only with whoever they want. If a pub doesn't want to serve a section of society they should have that right.Their business could suffer due to limiting its customer base but it should be their choice.

I belive that business should have the right to do business only with whoever they want. If a pub doesn't want to serve a section of society they should have that right.Their business could suffer due to limiting its customer base but it should be their choice.
A private members club should be able to restrict it's membership but allowing a pub to restrict access on the basis of colour, race, religion etc would IMHO, be wrong.
I think the Judge's ruling was flawed and that he knew it was flawed so that the case can be referred to the Supreme Court. I think if it is it would be a good thing as this does have major implications for all equal status legislation.
If Portmarnock Gold Club didn’t allow people who are Jewish or black to become members I would be totally against it so maybe I am being sexist, I don’t know…

I don't care what exclusive clubs get set up either but I don't agree that they should obtain any imprimatur from the state (such as in the form of licenses to sell alcohol) if they discriminate on the grounds laid out in the equality legislation.

I disagree. The only way to square the constitutional right to free association, with the demands of equality and justice, is to give everyone equal right to exclude others.
If Portmarnock was State owned and State run then you'd have a point. But this is a groups of citizens making a decision about who can join their private club.

This throws up all of the "exclusive organisations" that Jem listed above. None of which we have a problem with, and in return you get the Portmarnock's of this world who if equality is to have any meaning are "equally" entitled to their stance, even if it isn't a popular one.

I wouldn't go so far as Jem. I don't think Public houses should be allowed to exclude people based on membership of some group. There's a difference between the right to run a PRIVATE club and the right to run a PUBLIC house. We licence Pubs on the basis that they will serve the Public and that should mean ALL of the public.

If the Equality Legislation is out of step with this then the legislation is the problem.
As I said I don't agree with Portmarnock's stance, but their right to hold the stance makes for a healthier society. The positives of such "exclusiveness" outweigh the negatives by a long way.

>>In other words, those that beat the drum hardest on equality are often the most >>unequal in their attitude.

>Could you provide a couple of examples?

Oh dear. I'm going to draw some serious fire on this one, but here goes.
I think many women quite willing to accept and even rejoice in inequalities between Men and Women which favour Women. In my (limited) experience, the women who are most vocal for womens rights and equality, are often the least likely to have a problem with the ways in which men are discriminated against.

Here's just one example.

I very rarely hear women calling for greater equality in the way men are treated as second class citizens in actual legislation in this country in particular in relation to the family courts.

If any limb of the state was as biased against women as this one is against men there would be outrage. And rightly so.

If you believe in equality then you should campaign first and formost for the right of every citizen to be treated equally by the state. When the important stuff like that is sorted out you can move on the trivial stuff like whether or not you have the right to vote in a Golf Club.

I don't blame these women for this, we all have a habit of seeing only the ways in which we are discriminated against. It takes a very enlightened person to understand and take up someone elses cause.

But I think those who are troubled about Portmarnock should be politely reminded that there are far greater examples of inequality enshrined in the actual laws of the state that should be tackled first.

Start with the family courts, and the right of schools to discriminate on religous grounds. When you have that sorted out I'll talk you you again about the right to vote at the AGM of a Golf club.

As long as the state discrimintates it's pointless trying to get the citizens to treat everyone equally.

-Rd

I think by the Women's Health Council] should rebut your argument that many women reqoice when men are disciminated against and that you very rarely hear women calling for greater equality in the way men are treated.

This quote is particularly relevant:

On the other hand, men, and especially fathers, have also suffered at the hands of prescriptive family policy practices based on gender stereotypes. The definition of women as carers has underpinned the marginalisation of men as emotionally significant in their children’s lives (O'Connor, 1998), as well as their discrimination in relation to social welfare entitlements as carers (Kennedy, 2001). This marginalisation has recently been found to be even more significant in the case of vulnerable fathers, including unmarried, and separated fathers (Ferguson and Hogan, 2004).
Marion

It's easy to see this as the state attacking Portmarnock Golf Club but in fact it's the Equality Authority. The discrimination against men by the family court system is outside their remit so they cannot within their statute help men in this case.
They can only take cases where a member of the public has made a complaint to them, the EA don't take cases off their own bat. They are required to look at the cases that come before them and if the legal opinion given to them is that there is a breach in legislation then they are required to follow through. This is not a case of an organ of the state taking a spiteful case against a golf club.
I do think that it is a bit ridiculous but it is the legislation that is at fault.

Back