One Stop Shops for Retrofitting - are they in Stop Mode?

cwc456

On the 1st of April at the Ideal Home Show we provided our details to one of the SEAI listed "One Stop Shops" for retrofitting projects, our aim being to improve our home insulation etc and hopefully add a heat pump to our house. It's now mid July and all that has happened so far is that we got a technical assessment done (early May) and have received report documents for that assessment (Mid June). No indication yet from the OSS about any of the costs for the suggested retrofitting work. The OSS is supposed to do all project management, but there has been very little communication from them so far.

Now I'm wondering whether there is any likelihood of getting work done before next winter. Is anyone getting any retrofitting work done and what is your experience with the OSS? Is it better to just go directly to individual contractors to get work done?

I’ve made a few enquiries over the last few weeks. Sending initial emails to the companies etc. General theme seems to be they are getting a lot of enquiries and have limited capacity, so the turnaround times are very slow.

Give you have your technical assessment already done, worth contacting most of or all the OSS and asking for a quote. You might get one or two of them coming back sooner.

I’ve made a few enquiries over the last few weeks. Sending initial emails to the companies etc. General theme seems to be they are getting a lot of enquiries and have limited capacity, so the turnaround times are very slow.

Give you have your technical assessment already done, worth contacting most of or all the OSS and asking for a quote. You might get one or two of them coming back sooner.
Thanks Polkadot. Yes, there have been reports in the media about limited workforce with the necessary skills for retrofitting jobs.

I applied last February through An Post, had person call out for a chat, measured up my attic for increased insulation and got a quote, but not a contractual one. Paid a deposit on the price given. Despite a few calls, etc, to them, I'm still waiting on a final price and date for work being done. That's 5 months ago now and counting. Think I'll get the rolls of insulation myself and someone to do the job. It will save me having to get a BER cert and possibly will also be close enough to the price I'll be given eventually, or maybe even less.

I applied last February through An Post, had person call out for a chat, measured up my attic for increased insulation and got a quote, but not a contractual one. Paid a deposit on the price given. Despite a few calls, etc, to them, I'm still waiting on a final price and date for work being done. That's 5 months ago now and counting. Think I'll get the rolls of insulation myself and someone to do the job. It will save me having to get a BER cert and possibly will also be close enough to the price I'll be given eventually, or maybe even less.
If all you want done is the loft insulation, I'd be inclined to get the rolls myself too. I gather it's a fairly easy job to do yourself if you have reasonable DIY skills (which admittedly, I haven't)

If all you want done is the loft insulation, I'd be inclined to get the rolls myself too. I gather it's a fairly easy job to do yourself if you have reasonable DIY skills (which admittedly, I haven't)
I also wanted most of a very large attic floored by using raised holders for the flooring. That was also part of the job even though there's no grant for it. Just thought it might make the job more enticing to the contractor. The flooring I wouldn't be able to do myself "properly", but the insulation I would even though I've a dodgy heart and am nearing 70.. Any idea of how much good attic insulation might cost in 100mm thickness to cover 105sq mtr?

Back