One PRSI stamp paid means 2 yrs credit?

Audrey

I was told this recently by a friend and wonder if you have heard of it. Her partner had been unemployed, was employed again for one week, paid one week's A1 "stamp", and became entitled to two years credits as a result. Is this correct? If correct, it could impact on my own partner's future pension entitlements. He will be short on contribution years as it stands, but he did have two week's PAYE employment this year during which an A1 stamp was paid. Any advice much appreciated.

Hello Audrey,

I wonder are you referring to "change of Status" contributions - I believe that's where the "2 year's credits" comes into play. Change of Status contributions mainly benefits those who were paying a modified social welfare contribution and are not entitled to sign on for credits. In order to obtain "A" contributions and to sign on, they must obtain at least one week's work, and make the "A" contribution. For anyone in this position if the last social welfare contribution was an "A" contribution, then he/she is entitled to change of Status contributions, for the year preceeding that in which he/she obtained the work and paid the "A" contribution, and from the beginning of the year in which he/she obtained work and paid the "A" contribution. This can only be done once.

Sometimes the words "credited contributions" can be misleading.

Please bear in mind that these are "credits", i.e. credited contributions, not "paid" contributions. They will not help towards any short-fall which may exist in the required number of paid contributions, save for the week/s worked and for whiich "A" contributions were paid. They will, however, be used to bump up entitlements where credited contributions are being taken into consideration. You can get the full picture here http://www.welfare.ie/foi/creditsaward.html

I hope this helps. Can anyone else add to this please.

Cheers.
Justsally

Many thanks JustSally. I just scanned your post. Don't fully understand yet, but am about to have a look at the link you gave me. Ta. A

Back