"On Street Parking" in Public (or Private) residential estates?

Re: Parking by roadside

The person who damaged his car is a thug and I would advise OP to advise the Gardai of his suspicions. It will put an end to the matter.

Is there any evidence that one of the residents damaged his car?

Your right to stand your ground, let the person know your within your rights to park there, and remind them that the law in on your side, in a plesant but firm manner.

Is the resident not equally within his rights to place a cone there?

And the OP hasn't responded to the question of whether this is a private estate - that might put a different slant on things.

Askaboutlaw For legal issues not covered in another forum. .... Ask about road traffic law in Cars & Motoring. ....

Moved from Askaboutlaw to Motoring Related Issues
which is where this type of question is discussed.

Is the resident not equally within his rights to place a cone there?

And the OP hasn't responded to the question of whether this is a private estate - that might put a different slant on things.

If it is not a private estate then the OP would be within their rights to remove the offending cones, either put them up onto the grass verge or put them into his boot and keep them as someone has thrown them out.

The OP could call the council and tell them that someone is dumping plastic cones onto the road and could they remove them as they are causing a road hazard.

If it's the same resident then I think it's too much to be blocking so much space but I also think it's not right for commuters to park their vehicles on the street for the whole day and expect the residents to manage around their parking.

My sympathy would lean towards the residents but no-one (if that was the case) should damage a car out of spite. Commuters should take the locals into consideration when deciding to when and how to commute by car wheter to work or sporting events.

Last edited:

If it is a public estate then no one has any right to put up cones or anything to prevent other people parking there. Local authorities wont even allow residents groups to fix potholes on public roads in their estates for insurance purposes. The bottom line is that the OP has a right to park where he does (it wouldn't be my cup of tea) — new car or not!!!

The bottom line is that the OP has a right to park where he does (it wouldn't be my cup of tea) — new car or not!!!

It seems a bit premature to make that statement without an answer to whether it is a private estate or not, surely?

Well it seems that the OP is not really sure whether it is a public or private estate. I was merely offering an opinion in the event that it is a public place — as I suspect that it is. There are now 28 posts on this subject, so it is hardly premature to make some assumptions. Don't you think??

Well it seems that the OP is not really sure whether it is a public or private estate. I was merely offering an opinion in the event that it is a public place — as I suspect that it is. There are now 28 posts on this subject, so it is hardly premature to make some assumptions. Don't you think??

OP hasn't posted in the thread since Thursday morning, the question of public vs private arose afterwards. Your 'suspecting' and assuming' is just that, with no basis in fact. Of course you are entitled to make these assumptions, but you should explicitly state them and not state for a fact something that may not be correct.

I am also inclined to think it is a public estate as there has been no mention of private clamping services etc from the OP, but until the OP answers the question this discussion is academic.

As such I stand by my comment...

OP hasn't posted in the thread since Thursday morning, the question of public vs private arose afterwards. Your 'suspecting' and assuming' is just that, with no basis in fact. Of course you are entitled to make these assumptions, but you should explicitly state them and not state for a fact something that may not be correct.

I am also inclined to think it is a public estate as there has been no mention of private clamping services etc from the OP, but until the OP answers the question this discussion is academic.

As such I stand by my comment...

The fact that OP hasn't responded while we are ranting away suggests that he may well have found his answer.

i thought most estates were public - i.e. roads and lighting in there managed by the council. Any private estates I know have signs up and/or gates and I can only think of two off hand.

Most estates are public — only that many haven't been taken in charge by local councils who would then be responsible for road repairs, lighting etc. as opposed to the developer. Some developers put up signs indicating that parking is for local residents only but that is not worth the sign that it is written on.

If it is a public estate then no one has any right to put up cones or anything to prevent other people parking there. Local authorities wont even allow residents groups to fix potholes on public roads in their estates for insurance purposes. The bottom line is that the OP has a right to park where he does (it wouldn't be my cup of tea) — new car or not!!!

Assuming the estate is a public estate the OP may still not have the right to park where he does, how do we know the width of the road and other local issues (like access for bin trucks) that would prevent the majority of other road users from parking there.

TBH, if I was the householder and the OP went to gardai and they told me I had no right to reserve a parking spot by placing cones on a public road, then the next time the OP parks in front of my house I'd get a neighbour and myself to block him in, I don't think there's a law defining how much space must be left between cars, is there?

Last edited:

i thought most estates were public - i.e. roads and lighting in there managed by the council. Any private estates I know have signs up and/or gates and I can only think of two off hand.
I live in a private housing estate with no gates and no signs up about the private nature of the place. We have had sporadic problems over the years with people using the streets as a park and ride facility.

I live in a private housing estate with no gates and no signs up about the private nature of the place. We have had sporadic problems over the years with people using the streets as a park and ride facility.
Was there any outcome with your problem? The reason i ask is because i had the same problem myself with people using the front of my house as a park and ride facility. i live in a privatley owned detached house on the front row of an estate. there are 8 detached houses on our road which is a cul de sac. there is a green in front of us and then a busy main road. the front of my house is very open, ie cobblelock with no wall. some people just park their car right up in front of my house and walk away. pure and utter ignorance in my opinion, sometimes i have to do a 10 point turn to get out. one particular man used to park his large jaguar car right in front of my house, then get a bus somewhere and leave it there for the weekend! i had a few words with him one day. he seemed to think it was perfectly ok to park up in front of someones house for the weekend. if any visitors came to my house, they had nowhere to park.
people seem to get very upset when asked to park elsewhere, crazy.
do some people really think they can drive into a housing estate and park up in front of a privately owned house and leave their car there for the day?

Was there any outcome with your problem?
Seems to have abated since the surrounding public streets were made pay and display. I think this reduced the number of drivers who searched the area in general for parking spaces and so had a knock on effect in reducing the demand in our private area too. The issue never really bothered me that much since I'm not a driver and we have our own private space for any visitors who do drive. Once or twice neighbours parked on or across our space without asking in which case I just politely asked them to move and not do this without asking again.

Regardless of the legality, its all about respect for ohers. I don't think anyone minds someone parking outside their house occasionally or if it doesn't interfere with others. But in my experience people just will park anywhere. I had someone park for 2 weeks outside of mine making very difficult to get into the driveway. If theres a space left outside mine on a weekday, some will always park there all day, and frequently over the weekend. Regardless that the road is too narrow, and its make the exit from our road dangerous.

As said previously, unless there is a traffic management plan for an estate (ie pay and display parking) the issue of abandoning cars each day or for days on end will continue and there is nothing that the residents can do apart from parking their own cars on the roadway.

thats true. its still the height of ignornace and bad manners to park in front of someones house and leave the car there for an entire day or even days. everyone else has to pay for parking, so why do they think that they can park for free in front of a privately owned house? if they vant afford the parking for their car, get the bus.....

Parking on the street in front of a persons drive all day thus disrupting their entrance is wrong. However parking on the street where you are not blocking an entrance is perfectly acceptable. If a person wants to buy a house with a private parking space then let them pay for the privilage. If not dont buy or rent a house with no private space and then expect the tax payer to foot the bill for your personal on street space.

Back