On Line Check In

roker

I am a bit puzzled by on line check in. Does this mean that you can check in before arriving at the airport?
what happens if you do not get to the airport? and if your computer gives trouble on the day that you try to check in? or your baggage is over the weight limit?

Does this mean that you can check in before arriving at the airport?
Yes
what happens if you do not get to the airport?
You miss your flight
and if your computer gives trouble on the day that you try to check in?
If flying with Ryanair, you pay 40 for each new boarding card, something similar with other airlines I presume
Code:
or your baggage is over the weight limit?
You pay for the extra weight based on your airlines policy

I think with Ryanair you have up to 12days if not more now to check in online. So if when you try to check in online and your pc is not working.... go to a internet shop... a friends house... do at work... etc... you have 12 days.... you don't have to wait till the night before if flying at 7 am next morning... Even though I know it is a bad habit of Irish people to wait till the last minute and panic when a problem arrises and then blames everyone and their mother for the problem.. :)

Been using the online option for years... It is great as you dont have to worry about queeing at check in desks and if you get to Airport before the desk actually opens you have your boarding pass printed already so can go through security and leisurely shop in duty free J

rather oddly, despite Ryanairs announcement on 13 May (see "news" section on Ryanair website) that there's be no more airport check-ins for new bookings, I made a few dummy bookings for various periods and was still given the option of on-line check-in or airport check-in.

More puzzling is how does one print a boarding pass if one is away on holiday ?
yes, of course its easy for you guys reading this -you're internet savvy and will go to an internet cafe. But many older passengers depend on family or agents to book Ryanair and issue boarding passes.
But if one can only check online two weeks before the flight how do old Mr and Mrs X on holiday in ABC easily checkin online for their return flight ?
You'd be surprised how many people -not all old - don't like doing that sort of thing (which is good for me as I charge a few for doing it)

As MR O'Leary would probably say " I don't give a *** if they don't know how to book online. They can ***** well learn. otherwise they pay forty euros at the airport or they can ***** swim back to ireland !!"

Ok, just so I this straight, I booked flights in Jan for this coming wed (27th May) does this apply to me?

I understand I should print off the boarding card for the outgoing and the return flights the day before I leave to be within the 15 day time frame, but what about the bags? do I have to check them in aswell online, is there a further charge for this? and do I then drop them at a baggage collection point?

Please excuse all he stupid questions, believe it or not I'm not old and have flown before.

[broken link removed] might have answers if you are flying on ryanair

You raise good questions marie.

Because Ryanair has now changed the fees does this mean that thousands of people who booked and paid all fees long ago must pay new fees that Ryanair is now imposing on new bookings?

I hardly think even Ryanair would do that. If you have an invoice showing that all fees were paid for baggage and airport checkin then you should be O.K.

I don't even think you have to print off the boarding pass if you paid for airport checkin.

I'm 99% sure you'll be OK. with a 1% probability that Ryanair being rude,arrogant and unfair may try to screw passengers who booked on the old fee-basis.

Ok, just so I this straight, I booked flights in Jan for this coming wed (27th May) does this apply to me?

I understand I should print off the boarding card for the outgoing and the return flights the day before I leave to be within the 15 day time frame, but what about the bags? do I have to check them in aswell online, is there a further charge for this? and do I then drop them at a baggage collection point?

Please excuse all he stupid questions, believe it or not I'm not old and have flown before.

Ryanair Website said:
Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (13 May 09) confirmed that from Wednesday next (20th May) all new passenger bookings, including those travelling with infants and checked in bags, will move to online check-in and ‘bag-drop’ only as Ryanair phases out the use airport of check-in desks from its 146 airports by 1st October next.

Note the bit in bold. You booked in Jan, so whatever the policies were then apply to you. So you can still check in a the airport if that is what you selected when booking.

To answer oldnick regarding how to print off if your away on holidays.

You can check in 15 days prior to Flight. So you can check in for returning flight the day before you depart on your holidays. The vast marority of people I know do not take more than 2 weeks holidays so this should not be a problem.

If your going for a month on holidays. I'm affraid you have no choice but learn how to do it from a pc other than your own in a internet cafe or elsewhere.

I am abig fan of online check in. Always take the advantage of being able to check in early and sit together with my friends/relatives.

Question: Why do they make us pay 5 or 10 euro for online check-in now? Why?! We save them a salary, electricity costs and paper... so, why should we pay for that!?
Unbelievable....

I am abig fan of online check in. Always take the advantage of being able to check in early and sit together with my friends/relatives.

Online check in doesn't guarantee that you will be able to sit with your friends especially if travelling with Ryanair. All it means is that you have checked in online rather than at the airport. There is still a mad scramble for seats.

Question: Why do they make us pay 5 or 10 euro for online check-in now? Why?! We save them a salary, electricity costs and paper... so, why should we pay for that!?
Unbelievable....

These are the guys who complain when the government introduces a travel tax or when the DAA put up their fees.

Ryanair's prices have been slowly creeping up of late. I flew with them last week and the plane had circa 70 people going out and even less coming back. I think the tide is slowly turning against Ryanair. Price isn't everything.

I am an infrequent traveller and still a little unsure re online check in. I am flying with Aer Lingus to Madrid next Monday.
I know with Ryanair that online check in is compulsory. Is this the case with Aer Lingus also or can we check in at the airport if I want to?

Also we have paid for 2 checked in bags. Is there a further charge for checking in these bags at the airport.

aerlingus do not charge for checkin at airport.
we travelled to canaires in july with aerlingus. could only do online checkin for the outward journey. arrived at the checkin desk for return flight - no charge or hassle.
if you have already paid for the 2 checked bags then there is no further charge.

A Word of warning !

For any non european person doing an online check in, they still need to get their passport stamped at check in or else they will turn you away from the doors. It happened to a friend of mine who then had to get a later flight which he had to pay for himself.

Just to note since you are flying to Spain there is a requirement to fill in Advance Passenger Details if you haven't done so already.
Generally when flying with Aer Lingus whether with baggage or not I check in online but do not opt to print the boarding pass when flying from Dublin since I can just print it at one of those machines when I get to the airport and I find that less hassle (btw - having made the mistake once of intending to print but closing the window without doing so, you have the option of reviewing your booking and printing it then or printing it at the airport). It means I can select the seat I prefer before the plane fills up.
They also now have those self-service kiosks for the baggage, just don't forget to pick up your baggage receipt and boarding pass when you use them!

Back