Ombudsman publishes latest batch of decisions

I have been told that none of the Appeal Panels are acting in an independent manner but have no proof of this. In my case, the Panel permitted the Bank to rewrite historic credit decisions when they were provided with proofs and evidences to the contrary. Quite extra-ordinary.

It cannot be the case that BoI are an exception in not requiring full and final settlement agreement if you accept the Appeal Decision. I am not a lawyer, but if you accept the monies in full and final, that is your agreement to make. Or not.

I have been told that none of the Appeal Panels are acting in an independent manner but have no proof of this. In my case, the Panel permitted the Bank to rewrite historic credit decisions when they were provided with proofs and evidences to the contrary. Quite extra-ordinary.

It cannot be the case that BoI are an exception in not requiring full and final settlement agreement if you accept the Appeal Decision. I am not a lawyer, but if you accept the monies in full and final, that is your agreement to make. Or not.
My case is with Ulster Bank and it's my understanding that if I accept their additional compensation offer then I have no subsequent recourse to the courts.

My case is with Ulster Bank and it's my understanding that if I accept their additional compensation offer then I have no subsequent recourse to the courts.

You might benefit from writing to the Ombudsman for clarification, or making contact with free legal aid (FLAC) session in your area.

Complaints upheld

It appears that, so far, the Ombudsman has upheld only one systemic issue - the AIB Prevailing Rate issue. I don't think he has rejected any other systemic issues yet but it's hard to know.

Decision Reference 2019-0045 Failure to offer appropriate compensation or redress,

“The Complainants submit that had the building work on the property been completed sooner, they would have been in a position to rent out rooms to contribute towards their mortgage loan repayments. The Complainants submit that they lost approximately €800 per month, over a two year period on rental income, amounting to €19,200.”

Very interesting, opinion I received from an SC was rent a room income losses were likely unrecoverable in Court, even when there was a history of tenants. Here the complainants were awarded losses based on what they would have done.

Is it correct that Ombudsman rulings are legally binding / relevant to the Court?

Back