Ombudsman Decision Being Appealed To High Court

Cervelo

I have just been informed by the Ombudsman that a case that they had ruled in my favour is now being appealed to the High Court
So I'm wondering what this means for me and my case, would I be right in thinking that this has little to do with me,
as in this is now between the defendant and the Ombudsman and I will have little or no input from now on ??
and also any Idea how long this will take, less than a year or more than a year ??

Hi Cervelo

Yes, the case is against the Ombudsman challenging their decision. You are just a bystander.

I understand that they usually name the complainant as a notice party, so if you wanted to hire a legal team, you could. However, the Ombudsman has a very good track record and I doubt that your legal team would add anything of substance, so you should not go to the expense.

In very rare cases, only one that I know of, when the Ombudsman sent the case to their SC, their SC said that the Ombudsman's decision was clearly wrong and they should agree to Bank of Ireland's application to set it aside. As I say, that is very unlikely.

The courts are backed up so it will take a few years.

Brendan

The courts are backed up so it will take a few years.
Well it would appear that the High Court is not as backed up as we thought it is
Appeal lodged beginning of June Court date set for beginning of July, so not to long to wait!
Only question now is what do I do with the three inch's of A4 paper that arrived through my letter box the other day o_O

Hi Cervelo

Are you sure that is for a full hearing of the case? It would be fantastic if it were.

I would guess that it's just for some preliminary issue.

Brendan

Only question now is what do I do with the three inch's of A4 paper that arrived through my letter box the other day o_O

It's out of your hands unless you want to add your tuppence worth to the court case.

I would have full confidence in the Ombudsman. But there is no harm in reading the paperwork, just in case either side has made a serious omission or error.

Brendan

Are you sure that is for a full hearing of the case? It would be fantastic if it were.
I would guess that it's just for some preliminary issue.

I'm not sure Brendan, I've never been to the High Court before It just says that a date has been set where the Appellant will apply for the following orders.... Either way I'll find out shortly!

But there is no harm in reading the paperwork, just in case either side has made a serious omission or error.

Yes, spent the weekend flicking through the documentation most of it I would have been privy to but what is interesting at least to me anyhow is not that they are appealing the ombudsman decision but rather whether he had jurisdiction to make the decision in the first place, that's if I'm understanding correctly what I'm reading

Last edited:
Back