Older child Minding a younger child?

roro123

Hi.

What is the legal age in Ireland for a sibling to mind a younger sibling, for example a few hours, or overnight? For example could a 14 year old child mind a 4 year old sibling . 14 year old is quite mature and independent and trustworthy. I'd rather know the legality rather than the ethical/moral answers. Not too comfortable with having responsibility shoved on the 14 year old, but just curious about the law in this area.

Cheers
Roro123

HI roro, I don't think there are any laws regarding what age a child can babysit. But if it helps, I have a 14 year old and a 4 year old. The 14 year old is very mature and responsible but I would not leave her to babysit my 4 year old. I think it is an awful reponsiblity to thrust upon a child. I will of course review the situation again in a year or so.

You know your child best so I'd say if you trust them go for it. I babysat at age 14 and younger for local families (as I'm sure lots of people on here did) so I don't see any problem with it at all. There's no legal age for babysitting as far as i'm aware.

For babysitting, the main questions are how mature the older child is, and how close at hand help is if there is a problem.

A 14 year old "should" be fine to look after a 4 year old.

Overnight, I'd want an adult.

I definately wouldn't leave a 14year old overnight with a four year old, but assuming they are mature, capable of coping in an emergency, doesn't normally fight with sibling, can get hold of you or a trusted neighbour very quickly - I'd certainly think it would be OK for a few hours.

I babysat from when I was 13. Stuck signs in local shops. Most parents would get me to come around during the day to meet and play with the kids.

But I remember one family asked to to come around at 6.00 (1st time ever there-I assumed it was to meet the kids). They left. No phone numbers, kids had never meet me before, no instructions on bed routing etc and they didn;t come back until 2.30 in the morning & let me walk home alone (about a mile away). Never babysat for them again & I got very clear about what I expect from the parents in future!

Back