Old tiles for new bathroom?

TrundleAlong

The tiles in my bathroom cover the whole wall. I am getting a new shower in place. I don't want to remove and re-tile the whole room, just the area inside the shower.

The current tiles are about 25 years old. Is there any chance that there might be some of these tiles still available.

They are an off white/light grey with cracking effect.

Which supplier has the largest selection of tiles available?

Thanks

Highly unlikely that you are going to get the very same tile after 25 years and even if you did batch numbers would probably vary.

Why not make a with a different tile of a contrasting pattern/colour for just that wall.

We had a similar issue - had to replace the shower base and the first row of wall tiles around it as they cracked during removal of the base. We couldn't find replacement tiles as the originals were 15+years old so we did as Sue Ellen suggested above. We have large white tiles on the wall and put mosaic tiles on the base and the first row of the shower wall in another colour so it looks like a design feature - saved us a small fortune. Only thing to be wary of is the new tiles thickness. Similar thickness to the wall tile will save a lot of hassle. We only needed 2sqm of tile so got a great deal from Right Price Tiles in Sandyford as they have small lots of tiles on sale/reduced all the time.

We were just up in Sandyford ourselves today. We went in to one tile shop and a tile that caught our eye was €29.95 a sq. yd. We then went to another nearby and the same tile was €19.95 a sq. yd.

We were just up in Sandyford ourselves today. We went in to one tile shop and a tile that caught our eye was €29.95 a sq. yd. We then went to another nearby and the same tile was €19.95 a sq. yd.

Just be careful where you are buying from as one or two tilers that I got quotes from warned me that some suppliers sell 'seconds' and don't forewarn people of this. When the tiler goes to do his job they can sometimes have problems because of this.

I know some tilers want you to go to a certain supplier because they probably get possibly a commission payment but they can also get you a discounted price too. Best to check with your tiler before buying the tiles but be aware what might actually be going on in the background.

Sadly not shocked by this. Shows it pays to shop around. We went to 4 or 5 places in Sandyford and ended up back at the first - sods law.

We used Just Right Tiles in Sandyford. They took back some unused boxes. Full retile of walls takes up a lot of tiles so we got cheaper ones at c 16 euro but needed much less for floor so treated selves to fancy ones with a nice pattern.

We have large white tiles on the wall and put mosaic tiles on the base and the first row of the shower wall in another colour so it looks like a design feature
Did you put the tiles in place or did you get a tiler to do this? If we could get a tiler to tile the area just above the shower tray and possibly a strip down the middle of the shower where the shower attachment is located it would save us having to replace all our existing tiles.

Did you put the tiles in place or did you get a tiler to do this?
The base board fitters included a tiler and we just bought the tiles.
It's a wet room set up - no shower tray. The base and particularly around the drain are too important so I was going to hunt for a tiler anyway. Needless to say I was delighted to get a package deal.

I'm in Dublin (South) - looking for bathroom & kitchen tiles - nothing too fancy or out of the ordinary.

Nationwide Tiles had quite a good selection some time ago when we used them. They were reasonably priced too and the tiler did not appear to have any problems with quality https://www.nationwidetiles.ie/

I thought TileStyle in Ballymount were very expensive.

I wasn't keen on Right Price tiles either.

There are several in Sandyford so you can shop around easily there. House of Tiles worth a browse. For bathroom displays there's Tubs & Tiles, Sandyford Bathrooms and Nationwide. Right Price tiles is where I got my last tiles for a small area and found them good value for what I wanted. For "nothing too fancy or out of the ordinary" I'd try Right Price and Tilemarket first.

When you pick your tiles check what kind of adhesive and grout you'll need - some tilers supply there own and others want you to get everything with the tiles as some might need special adhesive and grout depending on what material they're made of and where they're going.

Last edited:
Back