Old sash windows

majee

We're getting new windows installed in the next few weeks to replace our old single glaze wood sash windows. Just wondering do our old sash windows have any value or would it be as easy to let the window guys take them away? Twould be a labour of love to dip them and replace some of the wood but they are in relatively good nick with original 'wavy' glass. Are there any antique yards that might be interested - I'm in the west cork area.

I would think it well worth the effort to ring salvage yards or even stick them in the buy and sell. Personally I'd hate to see such craftsmanship binned. If they were double glazed I'd be there in a flash!

the old wavey glass is worth keeping,is there anywhere in ireland that supplies crown glass, the only supplier i can sourse is in london and cost 200 yoyo a metre

We're getting new windows installed in the next few weeks to replace our old single glaze wood sash windows. Just wondering do our old sash windows have any value or would it be as easy to let the window guys take them away? Twould be a labour of love to dip them and replace some of the wood but they are in relatively good nick with original 'wavy' glass. Are there any antique yards that might be interested - I'm in the west cork area.

I work in the field of sash window restorations

Most of the heat loss from a house is through the walls.

If you just draught proof the original windows this will make a huge difference.

I have seen so many perfectly good windows binned, breaks my heart.

You should never dip old windows, if the paint is to be removed it must be taken off with paint striper or a heat gun.

SLF

the old wavey glass is worth keeping,is there anywhere in ireland that supplies crown glass, the only supplier i can sourse is in london and cost 200 yoyo a metre

Rathmines Glass have it.

Glass2glass inBallymount might not have it but I'm sure Alan could get it for you if asked.

I believe Dublin Stained Glass in Sandyford have it too but I'm not too sure.

thanks for the replies. Think I'll stick them in the shed when they're out and see if I can find a good home for them in time.

Hi S.L.F - how do you draught proof them? We have sash windows, which we love and don't plan to replace. But they are very cold, especially in the bed room which has two windows. Any advice would be appreciated. The house is about 100 years old if that makes any difference. Thanks. S

Hi S.L.F - how do you draught proof them? We have sash windows, which we love and don't plan to replace. But they are very cold, especially in the bed room which has two windows. Any advice would be appreciated. The house is about 100 years old if that makes any difference. Thanks. S

Hi suds

Ok this is the short version

Remove ths staff beads

Hold the cord and cut it then let the weight down slowly

Same other side

Deal with other side the same way

Remove the bottom sash

Route the top rail of the bottom sash to allow a strip of pile carrier then put darught proofing into it

Remove the parting beads the bring the top sash down as far as it can go then cut the cords as with the bottom sash

Remove the top sash

When I do this for my customers I remove the old pulleys and install new ones

Strip the frame and working parts of the sashes of paint for ease of movement

Remove the pocket covers and take the weights out

Weigh the weights and the sashes

The top sash should be 1 lb lighter than the weight

The bottom sash should be 1ib heavier than the weights

You may need more make weights to make the balance.

After the pulleys are back in cord the sashes

Then put the top sash back into the frame and loop the the cords back into the pulleys the attach them back onto the weights (this can be very difficult if you are not sure what you are doing).

Cut new wooden parting beads to size (with pile carrier strips s standart)

Install draught proof strips into parting beads

Install parting beads

Do not use plastic ones they are in my opinion...rubbish

Place bottom sash into frame and attach to weights

Repalce pocket covers

Then cut new staff beads to size

Install draught proof strips into staff beads

Nail staff beads into position

I normally install new fittings as standard these include new fasteners new lifters and new pull rings.

There are other fittings I use but these are the basics

If you want me to come and see it PM me

Hi S.L.F.,

may I please ask where to buy the draught proofing strip and pile parting bead for sash windows? We have the ability and toolkit to do them, and have indeed restored a few in the house, but without the draught proofing. It would be nice to do the job properly!

cheers,
Diziet

Hi S.L.F.,

may I please ask where to buy the draught proofing strip and pile parting bead for sash windows? We have the ability and toolkit to do them, and have indeed restored a few in the house, but without the draught proofing. It would be nice to do the job properly!

cheers,
Diziet

I can't post that info so I PM'd you.

Hi SLF

How much do you normally charge for this service?
Lets say for 1 Georgian window.

Look up www.exitex.co.uk for the gear for renovating sash windows and National Seal. Both are in Ireland.

I had a quick look at their web site and guess rightly all their draugh proof parting beads are plastic, so I for one won't be using them.

Some of the big houses on St. Stephens Green have had to remove all their plastic parting beads because the beads expanded so much they split some of the frames.

Personally I perfer to use wood.

If I answer this question I will be advertising.

I have no wish to get banned

I would not class that as advertising. The question could easily have been "How much would one expect to pay for that service?"

I have often posted on price of certain things E.G boiler change, cylinder change, immersion installation etc.

It informs people of the expected cost of a particular service.

I would not class that as advertising. The question could easily have been "How much would one expect to pay for that service?"

I have often posted on price of certain things E.G boiler change, cylinder change, immersion installation etc.

It informs people of the expected cost of a particular service.

Yes but S.L.F's Sash Window Restoration Company is the best in the business and I'm the cheapest too:D.

Mods can give some of my competitors prices and then give some of my own.

Sister thinking of getting old windows draught proofed, secondary glazing she called it. She has a leaflet from a company called.
Listed Windows Secondary Glazing. No website on leaflet only a phone number 0876726855.
She hasnt got a quote from them yet so not recommending them.

Sister thinking of getting old windows draught proofed, secondary glazing she called it. She has a leaflet from a company called.
Listed Windows Secondary Glazing. No website on leaflet only a phone number 0876726855.
She hasnt got a quote from them yet so not recommending them.

Secondary glazing is very ugly to look at.

She's far better off getting draught proofing done to her parting, staff beads and the mid rail of the sashes.

My own view of people dropping leaflets into your house is, you should never do business on your door step, because they know where you live but you don't know anything about them.

Back