Old phone lines/cables of no further future use?

Prosper

Renovating at the moment and trying to decide whether to remove the old phone sockets in the skirting boards. Is there any practical reason to keep the old phone cables and fittings?

Thanks NewEdition for the reply. I was assuming that the 32 year old phone cables were just obsolete and that I could just take off the sockets, cut the cables and then fill the resulting holes prior to painting the skirting boards. Based on what you've said I'll leave them all in situ.

You might want to use one to get ADSL broadband at some point, though this is becoming less likely with the rapid rollout of fibre-to-the-home these days. But you only need one point for that, preferably somewhere sensible for your modem, the rest I would take out, we’re never going back to the days of having phones plugged into phone lines in every room...

If you’re renovating anyway, you could look to stick some CAT5 cables to some rooms. These can be used for phone if ever required, but connecting WiFi access points, wired computer connections etc.

We're in the middle of reno'ing also, and removed everything from the skirting and skirting, a bunch of old phone lines but they were the kind the previous owners just put in to add phones to other rooms in the house. The one we didn't go near was the main one, and then we had Eir (KN) install the new fibre (FTTC) broadband for us and yes he used this but left it hanging and said when we have an electrician, he would be able to move it to whatever room in the house you wanted it. So I'd keep the main one.

I'd keep it. My SIL wanted to move to Sky TV and Broadband. However someone removed the copper when laying a new floor. So she has VM for BB and Sky for TV, which is a bit of a pain. She would have got 100Mb download with SKY as she is close to a VDSL cabinet.

Back