Old P.C., what to do with it?

Margie

Hi all,

I have an old P.C. at home. It has windows millennium with an older version of microsoft office. Consists of: tower CPU, large monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers. The computer is functioning fine - it is just old and we don't use it as we have a new modern PC. I can't seem to give the old PC away never mind sell it. My question is, is there some charity etc. that anyone can suggest would be interested in taking it? I cannot justify dumping it.

Regards,

Margie.

There's a group that send old PCs to Africa - will do some digging and try and get you the details. They'll pick it up from you too.

Sprite

before you just hand it over to someone - you might want to take out the hard drive and destroy it - for a security point of view. unless you use some type of block eraser any information stored on the disk will be recoverable.

You could ring a couple of your local schools and see if one of them would like it for a classroom.

Camara will love this - I got rid of an old (and perfectly functioning) Pentium III recently. They have minimum specs that are outlinged on their website.

I contacted Camara a few times asking if they were interested in some old hardware that I had but they never bothered getting back to me. :(

....My question is, is there some charity etc. that anyone can suggest would be interested in taking it? I cannot justify dumping it....

The reality is that hardware becomes obsolete and then no one including charities want it.

I contacted Camara a few times asking if they were interested in some old hardware that I had but they never bothered getting back to me. :(

Just drop it around - they are open until 1pm on Saturday. They took my machine, as well as a few graphics cards, CD-ROM drives, etc.

The reality is that hardware becomes obsolete and then no one including charities want it.

They have minimum specs - Camara seem to be pretty organised. The work shop is churning out 100's of PC's for devloping countries. The employees / volunteers seem to be pretty dedicated, and will chop and change machines to get them working. They only requrie a minimuim spec for word processing, etc.

before you just hand it over to someone - you might want to take out the hard drive and destroy it - for a security point of view. unless you use some type of block eraser any information stored on the disk will be recoverable.
Well at least destroy Windows ME. No one will want that.

Just drop it around - they are open until 1pm on Saturday. They took my machine, as well as a few graphics cards, CD-ROM drives, etc.
If they can't be bothered replying to emails then I'm not that inclined to support them. Thanks all the same.

This man advertises on DublinWaste.ie in the Wanted section. I contacted him and he took our 10 year old computer.You have to deliver to him in Tallaght. He repairs them and uses them for spares.
Phone: 0863573571
Email: [email protected]

Or to look at it another way, you help pay for the costs to deliver your old PC to a worthy cause.

Not quite - depending on how low the spec is, you pay more:

Please note: If your computer meets only some of these minimum specs, e.g.
a Pentium 3 with only 128Mb of RAM, Camara can still accept it, but an excess
charge will be required to cover the cost of upgrade.

Back