old oil boiler

hopalong

has anyone ever replaced a saturn oil boiler.its about 30 years old,it fits in a very confined space,and need a boiler of similar dimensions to replace it.its a boilerhouse type.was looking at the firebird enviromax one but looks to large to fit the tight space.

Height 684mm
Width 441mm
Depth 381mm

[broken link removed]

From the photo seems pretty compact, Width 17.6 inches (441mm)

will depend on what output size you require, and what you max dimension are

Grant doesn't seem to be an option either. The few models that would fit width wise are underpowered or too deep [broken link removed]

Maybe best solution would be move to an outdoor module, use your boiler house as a store (for narrow items)

had a look at the weblink,and i dont think they are the same boiler people.the company started in 1990 and our boiler is over 30 years old.will get some expert advise from a heating company,and last resort i will have to change to gas.

Closest I can locate is a Grant Vortex Condensing, boilerhouse model
it's 20kw output (71650btu) and is 350w,855h,565d...too big?

for all size details:

[broken link removed]

Closest I can locate is a Grant Vortex Condensing, boilerhouse model
it's 20kw output (71650btu) and is 350w,855h,565d...too big?

for all size details:

[broken link removed]

But i'ts only 50/70. Hopalong needs a 70/90

he did say 20/26kw (70 would be 20.5kw) so would meet the minimum,
and I would always undersize a condensing oil boiler to keep the boiler
under pressure (will condense more that way having a lower return temp,
as 20deg diff. is required)

Interesting, Does this differ from standard boilers where i've seen plumbers work out btu and add 10% when deciding on boiler size

standard boilers always were (wrongly) oversized, but tradition always taught that whatever you do don't undersize. But temp diff. was always 11deg, condensing boilers rely on good temperature uptake in the primary heatexchanger to rob the latent heat from the flue gas, hence 20deg diff. recommended.

To give a working example, my house today has a standard oil boiler, ranged to 110,000btu and next month I am ripping it out to fit a grant vortex (best on the market IMHO) and will install 90,000btu to put it under pressure and ensure condensing takes place as close to 100% of run time as possible.

Lets say I just banged in 110,000btu condenser, the boiler will condense as the house is heated up (ie. return temperature is still cold) but once circuit is running at temperature (ie. 10 deg diff.) then the boiler will actually stop condensing and revert to
something very close to a standard boiler for the remainder of the heating time period!

You know, just thinking about this, the OP stated the required heat output (20-26kw)
yet the boiler we are taking about replacing here is slightly smaller than the Vortex I have suggested!

How is the output of this older boiler of similar size greater than the output of the
Vortex, am I missing something?

the saturn i have is 800mm hight / 340mm width / 400 mm depth.20/26 kw required.
these are the diminisions of the existing boiler,the 20/26kw is the required value of the replacement boiler,i have no kw for the old one,and i have replaced one bedroom rad with a double one,and added another double rad in an extension.it takes about 10 to 15 mins to heat up the rads.its a 4 bed detached.maybe i could upload a photo of the boiler,someone may know the output.

is there no data badge on the boiler, if so look for the output,, either in btu or kw

Back