Old foreign (EU) online broker account and Irish Tax

Discussion in 'Tax' started by newirishman, Mar 11, 2018.

  1. newirishman

    newirishman Frequent Poster

    newirishwoman opened something like an online brokerage / personal securities account in 2001 or thereabouts with an Austrian online bank.
    Long story short, when we moved to Ireland a few years later, there's only a few shares left from about a handful of blue chip companies in it, with a portfolio value of around 3500 Euro (now).
    When we notified the bank of the address change, my wife seems to remember that she signed some paperwork telling the bank to manage tax at source, which means she paid since the relevant tax in Austria which came out of the account.
    Mind, there was about 5 euro a year on dividend payouts so not exactly big bucks. We haven't done any share trading or pretty much anything with that account, mainly due to lack of time to really make proper use of it. And it is also handy to have a few quid (even if it is only 3.5K) almost out of sight in case of any emergency.

    We recently had a look again at our finances, and apart from wondering what to do with those shares and that account, the question arose if we need to do anything with respect to Irish tax, or notify Revenue. I understand that you need to notify Revenue if you open an account abroad, but that account was already opened when we moved to Ireland.
    Not too worried about any tax due, as I said, not really any money earned, and [some sort of] tax paid in Austria. (it is some kind of withholding tax at source that was paid on the meagre earning, bit like DIRT)

    Question is now do I need to notify Revenue about it? And if that's the case, how do I go about it? Logged on to myaccount and had a route around but none the wiser. And don't really want to get an accountant due to the small sums.

    Main reason for asking is in case we decide to sell the shares and get the money out, how any tax would need to be treated. Hope that makes sense.

    Appreciate any thoughts.
  2. Ciru75

    Ciru75 Registered User

    For the years that you were resident in Ireland, you should declare the dividends on a Form 12. You'll be taxed on it the same as any other income and get credit for the Austrian tax you paid. If it's only €5 a year, it's not going to be something that Revenue will be too exercised about but you may as well do it right for the future anyway.

    If you sell the shares for more than you bought them for, you'll be liable to Irish Capital Gains Tax on the difference.
  3. newirishman

    newirishman Frequent Poster

    Thanks for that. Is there some sort of threshold? It is hardly worth anyones hassle, never mind time, to do this.

    Expected the CGT when selling, so thanks for the confirmation.
  4. jpd

    jpd Frequent Poster

    Your dividend income would be taxed at your marginal rate, but you would get some relief from the tax paid in Austria - if it's only € 5 per annum, I wouldn't worry.

    If the Austrian deducted more than 15% you could probably reclaim the excess but that would not be worth the effort imho
    newirishman likes this.