Old cheque book > 10 years

elcato

Moderator
Messages
4,516
I have a cheque book I haven't used in years but was thinking of buying state savings with one. Is there a time limit on cheques ? Assuming of course they're not obsolete. The account is still very much active.
 
I was once told that technically a cheque can be written on anything. What you get from the bank simply makes it easier by printing a bunch of names and numbers on it.
I last signed a cheque around 2001.
 
Depositing cheques has become a chore due to branch closures and the lack of a deposit facility on Irish banking apps.
I tried in our town's post office and was told I'd need a deposit slip from BOI and no they didn't have any.
Is that correct? The reason I ask is because EVERYTHING is a problem in that particular post office.
 
buying state savings
I know this isn't the question you asked, but I bought some state savings products online recently - in order to get past my bank's €2.5k daily debit card limit, I transferred the money to Revolut and used that account's debit card for the purchase. As long as you have sufficient funds in your Revolut account, there seems to be no practical limit on the debit card payment.

If this is an option for you, you could avoid needing to mess around with cheques.
 
in order to get past my bank's €2.5k daily debit card limit, I transferred the money to Revolut and used that account's debit card for the purchase. As long as you have sufficient funds in your Revolut account, there seems to be no practical limit on the debit card payment
Didn't know this, thanks but there must be some limit I'd imagine.
 
I contacted Revolut customer care, they said "there is no limit to the amount which can be paid using our card so you can go ahead and use it with no issues!". But yes, I'm sure there is a limit of some kind if you go high enough. 10k worked fine for me.
 
Last edited:
I know this isn't the question you asked, but I bought some state savings products online recently - in order to get past my bank's €2.5k daily debit card limit, I transferred the money to Revolut and used that account's debit card for the purchase. As long as you have sufficient funds in your Revolut account, there seems to be no practical limit on the debit card payment.
I'm attempting to buy some at the moment, need to get the funds into an account that has a debit card, I have N26 & EBS with cards but funds I want to use are in CU, I don't know what their actual daily limit is but it's less than 3k as I went down that far today in my attempt! I've given up for now and am actually going to call to CU tomorrow to see if I can just do one transfer in office. Wish I had a chequebook at this stage!
 
I don't know about Revolut, but Bunq lets you change the limit in the app for both card and transfers.
Yes, Revolut has similar features. So you might need to change your limit (or disable the feature) when paying for state savings products.
 
Back
Top