Key Post Oil tank gauges

ClubMan

I know that this was dealt with before but I can't find the relevant topic(s) now - any recommendations on where to get a new or used oil tank gauge, either mechanical or one of the new fangled electronic ones that give remote radio controlled access from indoors to the oil level? Alternatively, any tips on doing DIY maintenance on one of those mechanical ones in which often gets stuck after a refill and needs a couple of clouts to spring back into action reflecting the new replenished oil level? I'm in Dublin. Thanks.

I would if I was doing it myself but I'm trying to suss out a handier solution for an elderly person who may not be able to check the tank contents manually.

The in-law's tank has a vertical tube the height of the tank itself, with a "viewing window" along the full lenght of it (like an electric kettle) which is attached to the fuel line just as it exits the tank. Since there are no mechanical/moving parts, it's 100% reliable. They got with the tank from a local oil merchant. Try contacting some oil and/or tank suppliers, I'm sure they'd have them.

The in-law's tank has a vertical tube the height of the tank itself, with a "viewing window" along the full lenght of it (like an electric kettle)

Funny - I was just thinking that such a device might be useful last night (in bed! 8o ) and wondered if I could slap a patent on it. I guess not... :\

"I know that this was dealt with before but I can't find the relevant topic(s) now"

I think this is the topic you are thinking of but would have to admit that it does not contain anything enlightening. The one positive recommendation is too expensive in my opinion.

If its of any help I'm getting oil on Wed. myself and need a new guage also. I will ask the delivery guy if he has any new recommendations and post back. :)

Thanks sueellen - that is most likely the topic that I was thinking of. The problem with the gauge in question is that it seems to get stuck after a refill and needs a few clouts to dislodge the gauge (which must be on some sort of spring loaded pulley or something like that) at which point it emits a brief rapid whirring noise and the gauge springs back to the correct position. After that it seems to track the diminishing level of the tank contents correctly. I guess that the delivery people don't depend on these gauges when refilling otherwise I could see them overfilling and spilling kerosene all over the place! Anyway, I'll stay tuned until Wednesday to see if you get any useful advice... :)

Hi Clubman,

Got the oil to-day and the delivery guy felt that most of the gauges cause problems such as you mention. It sounds very like the presently non-working one that we have. He did seem to think that they are not great and not too easily repaired.

I had a quick look at some of the diy shop sites but nothing there. A friend is making enquiries at the moment for herself about one that slots onto the main pipe on the tank and she feels it is about €70 and is the one recommended by the service guy.

Sorry I could not get anything more helpful :)

Isn't there some new electronic wireless gizmo that sends the real time oil reading to a sensor located indoors? I think I saw it recently in the local hardware's Arro catalogue for about €60.

Anybody got one and can confirm it's actually works?

Bingo! - This is the gizmo I'm referring to........

Watchman Niveau fuel monitoring system €69.95

[broken link removed]
(See page 2)

Never run out of oil again.
With the Watchman Niveau fuel monitoring system you and your family need never worry about running out of home heating oil ever again.

Re: Key Post: Oil tank gauges

Did anyone get a Watchman Oil monitor or an Apollo ?
How easy are they to install ??

Very easy, read instructions carefully. you will need to know the depth of your tank to set the monitor. on your tank you should have a small cap held with 2 screws, whip it off and the monitor fits here. the other part is plugged into a socket in the house.

Very easy, read instructions carefully. you will need to know the depth of your tank to set the monitor. on your tank you should have a small cap held with 2 screws, whip it off and the monitor fits here. the other part is plugged into a socket in the house.

Second that.

Have one for two years now, working perfectly from day one. Highly recommend it.

If only someone would design a similar simple gadget to make the stuff in the tank last longer...:(

Hi all

Bought one of these BUT no insturctions included! Anyone know if I can get them online? Did try but to no avail - If needs be will have to go back to shop to get it but just thought I'd ask.

Cheers

I use an Apollo ultrasonic, fitted and setup in 5 mins seems to be working accurately so far.

Where in limerick can you buy " Apollo ultrasonic " ? Also, how much? Less than 60 euro would be good.

Back