Oil ETF

ph4t

I'm looking to buy an ETF that tracks the oil price.

I've found this one, ETFS Crude Oil, that tracks the DJ-AIG Crude Oil Total Return Index.

What would be the cheapest way to buy this?

I've found this one, ETFS Crude Oil, that tracks the DJ-AIG Crude Oil Total Return Index.

Through a cheap online broker. I use hoodlessbrennan but UK based.

Have myself bought an oil tracker today (LSE:CRUD).

Got to be near the bottom! I hope.

What is interesting is the amount of volume in December for these ETFs. Either a lot of selling or buying so posibly a turning point....

ETF Securities offer a large number of commodities based ETFs on the European markets.

A full list of their ETF products is here...

[broken link removed]

I think the one your found is one of theirs (CRUD).

You may also want to check out OIL and USO which are available on the US Markets. These are probably the most traded ETFs underlying oil.

Investing in a single commodity index might be considered high-risk for an individual investor. Although at today's Oil prices one could say the only way is up (at least that is the hope).

You may also want to consider a balanced commodities ETF such as the Deutsche Bank Liquid Commodity Index (DBLCI-OY BALANCED ETF). This has oil as a major constituent but gives you some diversification which is not a bad thing.

http://www.dbxtrackers.co.uk/EN/showpage.asp?pageid=143&inrnr=151&pkpnr=221&stinvtyp=

Let us know what else you find out as I think many of us are thinking along your lines at the moment :)

what would be interesting to know would be what level of delta hedging would be required for a given amount of personal annual consumption. e.g. Hold EUR2000 of Oil ETF Vs personal consumption of
  • 2000 litres ( 40litres per week)
  • 1500 litres home heating oil
If oil price goes up, pay more at the pump, but ETF goes up in value.

Let us know what else you find out as I think many of us are thinking along your lines at the moment :)

I just sent off the paper work to open a TD Ameritrade account yesterday so I'll keep you posted...

Don't shoot me but, why is there only 5 days of history on both of the london quoted ETFs OILB.L & CRUD.L but a few years info for USO & OIL in the states ?

Have used ETF securities for Oil and commodities. Just be careful as to where the ETF is domiciled for Tax purposes..... if its offshore ie: guernsey you could have issues on exit.

Back