Oil delivered to wrong house - what are our rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean who ever heard of fuel businesses with operations in Armagh and Monaghan being involved in anything shady, right?
No doubt they're buying expensive road diesel and passing it off as cheaper heating fuel....

If the OP is genuinely concerned about their heating oil having been contaminated with something they shouldn't be using their heating system until they have it tested.

I mean who ever heard of fuel businesses with operations in Armagh and Monaghan being involved in anything shady, right?

Maybe this was all an innocent mistake. If it was the firm should pay to have the fuel mix tested as a starting point.

@TillyD - invest in a cap with a lock on it. If someone can put fuel in without your knowledge they can take it out too!

That is what we are going to do regarding the cap.

We did not suggest it was a scam on the phone. We did question the quality of their oil because we knew nothing about them and then they got rude to us and also said that a discount of 31e was very small.

Cannot understand why they did not contact us before this letter and how rude the letter was and the threatening tone in the letter. There was no effort to come to a mutual agreement before this letter, also no apology. But maybe I'm old fashioned and place too much importance on customer service.

Edited to add: the oil was placed in our tank 5 weeks ago. Letter received yesterday.

Last edited:
Is there any information online about them?

Do they have an office and an obvious commercial presence?

Thank you for the interesting replies

We have never expected something for nothing only good manners! The attached imagine is the opening line of a registered letter sent to us... not I am writing to apologise etc. This company could have had the courtesy to call to our house on the evening/week it happened. They never tried to contact us. Only this letter. We rang them the day after it happened and they were rude to us so my husband hung up in them.

The letter doesn't even mention paying in full only installments or take back 500ltrs, which we honestly can't say how much they put in. If they handled the situation a little more professional we might not be second guessing any of this.
Their letter doesn't appear very professional, it would be interesting to see the full thing. This is what the Sales of Goods Act actually has to say about "unsolicited goods."

On first reading, and without knowing all the details, it seems like this company may well be guilty of.a criminal offence under subsection 3.

47.—(1) Where—
(a) unsolicited goods are sent to a person with a view to his acquiring them and are received by him, and
(b) the recipient has neither agreed to acquire nor agreed to return them,
and either—
(i) during the period of six months following the date of receipt of the goods the sender did not take possession of them and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so, or
(ii) not less than 30 days before the expiration of that period the recipient gave notice to the sender and during the following 30 days the sender did not take possession of the goods and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so,
then the recipient may treat the goods as if they were an unconditional gift to him and any right of the sender to the goods shall be extinguished.
(2) The notice referred to in subsection (1) shall be in writing and shall state—
(a) the recipient's name and address and the address at which the sender may take possession of the goods (if not the same) and
(b) that the goods are unsolicited.
(3) A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment, in the course of any business, makes a demand for payment, or asserts a present or prospective right to payment for what he knows are unsolicited goods sent to another person with a view to his acquiring them, shall be guilty of an offence.
(4) A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment in the course of any business and with a view to obtaining any payment for what he knows or ought to know are unsolicited goods—
(a) threatens to bring any legal proceedings,
(b) places or causes to be placed the name of any person on a list of defaulters or debtors or threatens to do so, or
(c) invokes or causes to be invoked any other collection procedure or threatens to do so,
shall be guilty of an offence.
(5) In this section—
“acquire” includes hire,
“send” includes deliver,
“sender” includes any person on whose behalf or with whose consent the goods are sent and any other person claiming through or under the sender or any such person,
“unsolicited” means, in relation to goods sent to any person, that they are sent without any prior request by him or on his behalf.

The oil company lost its credibility and legal standing once it sent a letter stating that the law allows them to effectively trespass on the OP’s property to get the oil back! Any reputable company would not do this. If it was a mistake, the company should be big and bold enough to absorb the loss (its only a few hundred quid - I’ve lost more on a night out!). Or if it feels really strongly about it, dock the driver’s wages for delivering to the wrong address.
Remember we just have an abridged version of one side of the story.
It is possible that the posters husband got aggressive and told them to take a hike.

It does actually come under the soga in that an error was made / unsolicited goods were delivered.

The company has said that they wish to collect the goods. They may think that they are being frustrated in collecting the goods and they can rightfully suggest that they can / will take legal action.

The question of accessing the property to reclaim their goods is probably for someone with more expertise, but I would suspect that they would be entitled to do so.

The problem is also that the "goods" are now mixed with someone else's property and the only evidence whatsoever as to how much of that mix belongs to this firm is the firm's own delivery docket.

You'd have to wonder at the quality of the oil this firm sells if it is happy to extract 500 l from a private tank with who knows what contaminants inside and then presumably just sell it to their next customer.

The question of accessing the property to reclaim their goods is probably for someone with more expertise, but I would suspect that they would be entitled to do so.
The only people who are entitled to access any property are the property owners themselves. Or some enforcement arm of the State (eg Gardai, Sheriffs etc in certain circumstances).

There is no absolutely no question of a private entity being legally permitted to enter into the property of a private individual to remove mistakenly delivered oil from a tank!

I also believe it's a scam.

And I would not under any circumstances enter a payment plan for €38 a week.

The only people who are entitled to access any property are the property owners themselves. Or some enforcement arm of the State (eg Gardai, Sheriffs etc in certain circumstances).

There is no absolutely no question of a private entity being legally permitted to enter into the property of a private individual to remove mistakenly delivered oil from a tank!
Plenty of people can access a property legally once they have reasonable excuse to enter As in the grounds not the physical house.

Post and parcel delivery services to start with. Meter readers. Neighbour's contractors if it's an emergency and requires access via your property.

As I said above, someone with legal knowledge is better placed to give the legal standing, but I would think that they would have an entitlement to enter the grounds to retrieve their property.

Plenty of people can access a property legally once they have reasonable excuse to enter As in the grounds not the physical house.

Post and parcel delivery services to start with. Meter readers. Neighbour's contractors if it's an emergency and requires access via your property.

As I said above, someone with legal knowledge is better placed to give the legal standing, but I would think that they would have an entitlement to enter the grounds to retrieve their property.
You can take my word for it, they have absolutely no grounds to enter the house for the purpose of removing the oil from the tank.

My final thoughts on this for the OP.

I believe this set up is a scam.

Get your tank dipped, tested and locked.

Do not engage any further with the company.
Happens a lot more often than you think. And there are numerous companies that operate both sides of the border from small distributors to very large ones. Maxol would be a big one, Morgan fuels a mid size and a plethora of small ones. 40km distance is "local" in rural terms. My oil comes from over 25km away. (Naas oil to outside Kildare town)

Margins are miniscule in the business. On 500l it is probably less than €50 gross. The company boss was probably fuming at the driver and had a bad attitude on the phone as the loss is over €350 and has a disgruntled customer that didn't get a delivery.

At the end of the day it has to be sorted somehow - we all make errors.

As for mixed fuel - it is all the same. No "brand" has a different fuel to another. It all comes from one of 3 refineries and the distributors simply get the next lot that comes out.

You can take my word for it, they have absolutely no grounds to enter the house for the purpose of removing the oil from the tank.
Can you give a link to this?
And I am saying the property, as in the grounds not the physical house. There is a big difference.

My angle is that if someone has refused to allow access for return of a mis delivery, (not suggesting that the poster has done this) the company can reasonably enter to extract their goods.

Again, it's my thought process, so would like if someone could give a legal opinion with explanation as we get regularly here.

Think of a neighbour's kid kicking a ball over the wall. If the neighbour refuses to give the ball back, can the kid not reasonably enter the grounds to retrieve the ball?

As for mixed fuel - it is all the same. No "brand" has a different fuel to another. It all comes from one of 3 refineries and the distributors simply get the next lot that comes out.
This is very reassuring, thank you. We now know the oil was meant for someone in the community, which is also reassuring.

Still not happy with their approach, but I'm confident we'll come to some mutual agreement.

Thank you all for your input.

If you're happy with the bona fides of the intended customer and they have previously used the firm without issue then the oil is very likely kosher. How you proceed from here is then up to you and your conscience really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back