Oil Burner - Inside or Outside the house?

A

ajapale

I can place a new oil (kero) burner inside the house or outside the house. What are the pros and cons of each approach?

thanks,
ajapale

Our home has it outside, and I'd personally prefer this.

1. You dont have to bring the service man through the house, and/or be embarassed if the utility room is in a state.

2. Our service man (same for 15 yrs) calls to the house even if we are not there, and can do his thing and bill us.

3. No worry about fumes, at least inside the house.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't think there's much of a difference - I'd say its a matter of Personnal choice.

Thanks Harry,

I think noise and vibration can also be a consideration. Does an outdoor burner have to have a special housing to withstand the elements?

ajapale

"Does an outdoor burner have to have a special housing to withstand the elements?"

Yes.

Thanks SueEllen,

Anyone know what the additional costs are, associated with outside burners?

ajapale

oil burner- inside or outside?

Transporting heat costs money ,especially through the cold outside.The ordinary boiler could freeze and burst if not in use.The standard chimney is not used.Instead they use a short pipe out of a zinc coated steel box covering the boiler.That could cause pollution of the air that is supposed to come freshly in to the house /the window.10% more loss of energy is guaranteed with an outside boiler compared to the same model inside.You could buy a condensing boiler,they operate independently from the air in the room,getting the air that they need via a pipe from the outside.So no smell would occur in the house.There are wall hanging ones and free standing types.
All boilers that I have seen standing outside have a pretty bad energy rating.To compare the different types check www.sedbuk.com
If you buy a new one than go for the best(not necessary the most expensive),boilers will last for at least 10 years eating up your money all the time.And make sure it is correctly sized,in most households they are over dimensioned.

Re: oil burner- inside or outside?

Very good site heinbloed.

Back