Offshore Euro Account with Nationwide UK ?

whiz

Hi Guys
I was wondering has anybody opened up an Offshore Euro Account with Nationwide UK ? I am looking at opening up the account mentioned in the link below, if anybody has any opinions on the account or has opened such account please drop us a bit of feedback, all reponses appreciated.

[broken link removed]

Hi

I have reently opened an offshore account with them in sterling.

No problems, they are very efficient.

You will need a certified copy of your passport or driving licence.
This can be got at your local garda station.

Nansus

Hi

I have reently opened an offshore account with them in sterling.

No problems, they are very efficient.

You will need a certified copy of your passport or driving licence.
This can be got at your local garda station.

Nansus

How did you set this up online?

I'm interested in moving the bulk of my savings out of Ireland, sterling seems as good an option as any at them moment.

How did you set this up online?

I'm interested in moving the bulk of my savings out of Ireland, sterling seems as good an option as any at them moment.

It is quite easy to set it up on line.
They will open an account almost by return of post for 30 days pending you forwarding your proof of Id etc.

The link below will take you to their homepage.

[broken link removed]

Nansus

Just did a quick search and found this thread.

Has anyone else opened an account with Nationwide International? Any feedback on them?

I have a Euro Bonus Access account, paying 2.35%.
Nationwide International is a different bank from NationwideUK in Ireland, so I don't know if you can take your documents to Merrion Row to be certified. I happened to be in England, and went into a Nationwide UK branch there, where the certifying and photocopying was done.
Had no hassles opening the account or getting money in (minimum €5000). The write-up said there would be bank transfer costs, but there weren't. I have not tried to get money back out.
Security would be IOM, but as good as anywhere if you keep under the guaranteed amount.
Advantages: should escape change of currency if Ireland has to leave the euro.
should escape any tax on deposits imposed by Irish govt
Disadvantage: what currency would it become if the euro ceases altogether?

Disadvantage: what currency would it become if the euro ceases altogether?

That's what I was wondering. You would expect it to be sterling seen as the account is held in the Isle of Man.

If you were to open up a Sterling and/or Dollars account with them, do you know is it possible to move funds around easily enough between the accounts?

That's what I was wondering. You would expect it to be sterling seen as the account is held in the Isle of Man.

The EUR deposit is not held on the Isle of Man. The EUR deposit is held with a sub custodian somewhere inside the Eurozone. This is normal procedure for EUR accounts offered outside the Eurozone.

I have one of these accounts, wondering if anyone knows what happens if the Euro breaks up, will it be trasnfered to sterling? How will sterling perform? Presumable better than punts?

The poster asked for opinions on the account and I sent a link to the website where it gives an update on Nationwides credit rating downgrade. I do think it is important for anyone to research any financial institutions before they decide to open any account hence why I posted the link.

I have one of these accounts, wondering if anyone knows what happens if the Euro breaks up, will it be trasnfered to sterling? How will sterling perform? Presumable better than punts?

If you have an account with them would it be worth ringing them and asking what would happen on that event? They probably don't know.

Back