Offset CGT property gain to share losses

Palerider

Folks, I have a gain on a property which I believe can be offset against share losses, the gain is from this year and I plan to put this on my form 11 for tax year 2017 which I am currently working on, the share loss goes back to 2001 and was a total write off as the company went bust.

I advised Revenue of the purchase of these shares in the year of purchase( 2001 ) and have a copy of the communication, contract and confirmation of total loss, I think I am fine to record these losses forward against the property gain.

I also have had more share losses over the years 2006 - 2009 however upon checking never advised Revenue of most of these purchases from earlier years, I have records of the purchases and sales so I do have supporting documentation, I assume I should include these losses now and declare these as losses going forward so I can tidy up the record, or can I ...any thoughts.

My share buying days are behind me at this point but there may be another property gain in the future that these losses could be used against so I'd like to take the time to get this aspect right..

Back