Office Party

Would you say the same if public sector workers were getting a paid Christmas party?

I'd have no objection to it. I can't stand the people who don't want to see anyone enjoy themselves. If we all stopped spending there would be no economy left (not a justification for massive unsustainable spending just a defence of some minor frivolous spending!)

Also, from my experience of working for a large organisation, meeting someone just once in a social setting improves the working relationship dramatically. Half the time when dealing with someone you don't really know you are wary as to whether they are time wasters or not. At least if you've had some social interaction you are less worried of causing offence if they turn into a pain!

Would you say the same if public sector workers were getting a paid Christmas party?
I don’t see the problem with any organisation paying for a Christmas party for their employees.
About half our people go and it costs around €75 per head. The social club organise it.

I'd have no objection to it. I can't stand the people who don't want to see anyone enjoy themselves. If we all stopped spending there would be no economy left (not a justification for massive unsustainable spending just a defence of some minor frivolous spending!)

Also, from my experience of working for a large organisation, meeting someone just once in a social setting improves the working relationship dramatically. Half the time when dealing with someone you don't really know you are wary as to whether they are time wasters or not. At least if you've had some social interaction you are less worried of causing offence if they turn into a pain!

+1 to all that.

Not at all
It's maybe fifty to seventy euro a head.
Small change compared to the annual payroll and does a lot to boost morale and keep people happy.

If the staff are meeting socially, well you put a face to a name and the departments work better together :)
Better then please be advised emails when a quick chat or call gets things done faster

I think the Indo would be screaming if they ever found out though. :eek:
They would just love a story like this and whip up fury

Not at all
It's maybe fifty to seventy euro a head.
Small change compared to the annual payroll and does a lot to boost morale and keep people happy.

So €21m* on christmas parties for the public service would be acceptable? As a public servant and a tax payer, I would not accept €21m being washed down the drain when it could be directed into providing important services instead.

* (€21m = 300,000 x €70)

So €21m* on christmas parties for the public service would be acceptable? As a public servant and a tax payer, I would not accept €21m being washed down the drain when it could be directed into providing important services instead.

* (€21m = 300,000 x €70)

There is money spent on plenty on things in the public sector that I don't find acceptable. Would have no problem with people getting a few drinks and some food at Christmas. Doesn't have to be €70 per head.

* (€21m = 300,000 x €70)

Looking at the big picture cutting an average of 1hr overtime per individual per annum would probably pay for a nice meal and generate better morale.

I'd find it very hard to begrudge anyone €30 meal after a year's work. Such gestures generate more goodwill than the equivalent in pay.

Profitable companies have also been hounded out of making such gestures. What good does that do anyone? Certainly not the employees, the hospitality trade, the food industry, the economy, etc

I have only started at the company.

The "official" do is this Friday, completely free. I have heard several people have already dropped out after learning the Big Bosses were coming down from Dublin and staff have been instructed to kerb their behaviour! We are being given a 2 hour lunch next week and will go to a departmental lunch in a nearby hotel, that will be the extent of my office partying. Even if I like and get on well with people at work I have little desire to see them outside of the 40+ hours a week I spend at work.

+1 for me too. Nothing wrong with a token night out regardless of where you work. I think the press would have a field day though

There is absolutely no way the press would accept civil servants having a paid for Christmas party. And to be honest, the carping, bitching and blowing the whole thing out of proportion that would go on about it would take all the good out of the night. I would genuinely rather just pay for it myself.

Our company nearly always went to the Burlington every year. We didn't have to pay for anything including a few drinks and taxis home if we werent staying over. They didnt pay for room or anything. The nights there were actually decent enough. I remember one night I destroyed one of the cubicles in the jacks, too much rich food, guinness, wine, champagne etc. As intoxicated as I was, I gave the attendant 20 euro for the cleanup.

LOL, I dont wanna know which end of your body did the damage to the cubicle!

.. destroyed one of the cubicles in the jacks,

Years ago, a former colleague of mine went a bit over the top at a free bar at an event held in-house in the workplace canteen. Too much brandy led to a huge mess in the ladies toilet and almost led to the cleaners refusing to clean it up.

That was the end of free bar events, and in-house events.

My party this weekend. As i work for a foreign company, myself and +1, are flown to the location. This year it's in the UK, lovely place in Lake District, with rooms, flights, meal, all drinks (the guys normally opt for standard food and good quality wine with wine menus - good people :D) etc. plus a gift. Think budget is stg£350 per couple. We work hard all year, lot of responsility on us, and we all work from home across a few countries, so good time to catch up with each other. Company recognise importance of keeping morale up.

Back