Office 2003 v Office 2007

onway

Was going to buy Office 2007 as I need to use Excel and Powerpoint but have read alot about how complicated it is - is it really that bad? Should I think about getting Office 2003 instead..............

Few people seem to have 2007 as yet, if you are looking for portability i'd go for 2003.

Why not use open office for free?

O2007 looks very different to the O2003 version.

I found it took a while to get used to the new version - layout and usual commands were in different places.

Once I got over the challenge the new version has a lot more features and gets over a lot of limitations prevalent in the 2003 version.

Was going to buy Office 2007 as I need to use Excel and Powerpoint but have read alot about how complicated it is - is it really that bad?

There are some changes to the interface, but no, it's not complicated at all (well, no more than Office 2003 was). Just my opinion, of course. If you're an experienced excel/ppt user you won't be bothered by the changes, I don't think. You can change the interface to make it more traditional also.

What is open office..............????

Its a free alternative to the Microsoft suite of Word/Excel/PPT etc. See here for details: http://www.openoffice.org/. For example, you can use it to create a doc similar to what you can do in word and there is an export to PDF function to simply create a PDF from the open office file. No affiliation, just found it useful when creating a CV and didnt want to pay for MS Office stuff

You could also use google documents.
I'm starting to use that now. It's very handy for collaboration.

Been using Office 2007 for about 9 months now. Took a little while to get used to 2007 as lots of new features, templates etc and some hidden away in strange places. Love it now and you can still save your documents in Windows 97-2003 compatibility mode as not everyone using 2007 yet.

You can have both on your machine 2003 and 2007. I'm using 2007. Outlook is not much different to 2003. The others have changed. I'm not a heavy user of any of them, though I have been in the past and after a year with 2007 I find I'm still searching for things I know are there, but have been moved. Kind of annoying. I dunno about anyone else but I find Word and Excel a lot slower to open then 2003 version, even on a decent PC. I don't find it any better to use than 2003 all this ribbon malarky is change for change sake IMO.

I see Office 2003 is still for sale on Amazon for £38. Does the license you buy with the standard 2003 package allow you to install the software on just one computer or can you install on a PC and a laptop (same user for both)?

Is it possible to put Office 2003 on a Vista machine?

As regards Openoffice, it saves file as a .odt file, I am unable to open this in Ms word 2003, should I save it as .something else in openoffice?.

Tks

Yes you can install Office 2003 on Vista.
And yes when you have an open office document opened you can save it as Micosoft Office document.
You will find the option in the File > Save As menu.

I think you can download a 30 day trial of these from Microsoft, or order it on CD. Why not just try it and see.

Back