% of households with €1m+ net wealth has doubled in the last eight years

Sarenco

Another interesting nugget from the analysis is that the % of total household net wealth owned by the top 10% of Irish households has actually fallen from 60% in 2013 to 54% in 2022.

It's a pity, IMO, that the data isn't broken down into age cohorts. I suspect the proportion of households headed by somebody in their 60s with net wealth of €1m+ is actually quite significant, whereas I suspect very few households headed by somebody in their 30s have net wealth of €1m+.

Another weakness of the data, IMO, is that it excludes claims on the State in calculating net wealth. For example, the average Garda would have accrued pension entitlements with an actuarial value well north of €1m by 55 but that doesn't show up in data.

So would nett wealth include one’s private residence less mortgage outstanding and one’s accumulated private pension ?

I'll have a read of that report later, thanks for sharing it.

Very interesting on the concentration in wealth. We have seen in the US and to a lesser extent in the UK, the rich getting richer. While there are more millionaires in Ireland, the concentration of wealth is being spread out a bit more. I would have thought we were going more like the US.

Defined benefit pensions are always a difficult one. We don't include them in the net worth statement for financial planning clients as you never actually own the benefit and can never take the full value in one go. An annuity is a salary. It dies when you die (or your spouse). While there are certainly many public servants who have pensions valued at over €1m, I wonder how many will actually receive over €1m from them?

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

So would nett wealth include one’s private residence less mortgage outstanding and one’s accumulated private pension ?
Yes, plus any other financial assets (deposits, shares, etc., held outside your pension), less any other debt (credit card, motor loans, etc.)

It's a pity, IMO, that the data isn't broken down into age cohorts. I suspect the proportion of households headed by somebody in their 60s with net wealth of €1m+ is actually quite significant, whereas I suspect very few households headed by somebody in their 30s have net wealth of €1m+.
The CSO does this in the data release, kind of. Unsurprisingly, older people hold the most wealth and only 13% of adults under 35 have net wealth above the median for all adults. But this is the same the world over.
Another weakness of the data, IMO, is that it excludes claims on the State in calculating net wealth. For example, the average Garda would have accrued pension entitlements with an actuarial value well north of €1m by 55 but that doesn't show up in data.
DB schemes (and not just public sector ones) are excluded and also life insurance. The issue is that this is a survey-based, self-report method so you can only ask people obvious things like the value of their pension fund, bank deposits, farmland, etc. Most people have a very hazy idea of their DB benefits never mind being able to put a capital value on them. You get the same issue with wage earnings: Revenue data, the CSO household surveys, and CSO surveys of employers all tell you different things about what average earnings are.

When it comes to wealth at the micro level there are huge issues with people guessing, not knowing, and telling lies to the surveyors. There is a reason that AAM is pseudonymous - people don't like to disclose their income and wealth to anyone!

It does remind me of the Celtic Tiger where a lot of people (especially in Dublin) found themselves asset rich but perhaps cash poor on the basis of inflated property prices.

I would guess that if you included the actuarial value of a DB pension as an asset, you would at least double (maybe even triple) the % of households with €1m+ net wealth.

Still, it's another piece of analysis that de-bunks the myth that we are becoming an increasingly unequal society.

It does remind me of the Celtic Tiger where a lot of people (especially in Dublin) found themselves asset rich but perhaps cash poor on the basis of inflated property prices.
The problem with most analyses of wealth in Ireland is that you're not wealthy at all if you need to count in that, the paper value of your home. A large number of nominally wealthy people are only a number of months' payslips away from reliance on social welfare of one kind of another.

When most people say they own their own home are they wrong? Would it not be better to say they're leasing it from a financial institution.

Another interesting nugget from the analysis is that the % of total household net wealth owned by the top 10% of Irish households has actually fallen from 60% in 2013 to 54% in 2022.

how did you calculate that?

I would guess that if you included the actuarial value of a DB pension as an asset, you would at least double (maybe even triple) the % of households with €1m+ net wealth.
And if you added in contributory state pensions you'd add a few more hundred billion in wealth, and probably reduce the Gini coefficient a bit as well.

If the garda is single and dies, their pension pot per say dies with them. It doesn't go to their estate. And so it's not an asset in the calculations.

If the garda is single and dies, their pension pot per say dies with them. It doesn't go to their estate. And so it's not an asset in the calculations.
But it's not not as asset. If a Garda retires at 55 on a salary of €90k they'll get a pension of lump sum payment of €135k plus a pension of €45k a year. If they live to 85 that's a total pay out of €1.485 million. How can the capital allocated to those payments that not be counted as wealth?

When most people say they own their own home are they wrong? Would it not be better to say they're leasing it from a financial institution.
Around 25% of households have a mortgage on their main residence.

Surely the government or cso must have the figures of how many years on average they pay out pensions for each public servant or their spouse that is retired.
Yes some people might die at 69 and some at 95, it's an easy enough calculation to come up with the average cost of pension to the exchequer for every public servant. Obviously getting access to the raw data would maybe be the restriction. Then that figure would be the real wealth effect of public sector pensions.
Maybe it's the case that they don't want to look into this too much, "ignorance is bliss " approach

This is true. PS pensions are a wealth of sorts, but you can't transfer or securitise it. It's contingent on the state's ability to pay it, and can't be transferred except if you die and the spouse's pension is paid.

I don't think a PS retireee with a pension of €25k per annum has the same wealth as someone of the same age who has enough to purchase an annuity of €25k. The latter has much more flexibility over what to do with their wealth.

Anyway the statistics are more to show wealth relative positions of people of various ages, locations, etc. It's not supposed to literally capture every euro of wealth.

Back