odds of winning on prize bonds

I was gifted two for £10 as a baby in 1978, which have never won anything! Still worth I have a total of 14 that I've been gifted over the years since. Nothing. I guess £10 then is the equivalent spending power of about €50 now.

i have a lot of prize bonds ( dont know the actual value ) between me and my children, and we've never won a thing. I dont actually know anyone that has ever won anything. But there nice to get as presents especially for the kids, they will probably never win anything but at least when they are older they can cash them in and do what they want with the money.

I'm curious now...have to go and dig them out and find out how much they are worth.

I have held prize bonds for over 15 years now and have invested about a grand a year so that now I have around €14,000 in prize bonds and I "win" on average 6 times a year ( usually the €75 prize ) = €450.

I have won the €1000? in the past and a few other smaller ones ( 150? ) my baby son won €150 recently and he only has €50 in prize bonds ( must be a lucky so and so :))

Gotta say I do understand that they are not a great investment but in my case I think I am the exception ( just lucky I guess ) and I do place the bulk of my savings in high interest fixed term accounts and basically see the prize bonds thing as a "punt" but I'm quite happy with things at the moment and see no reason to cash them in as you could always win the big one :)) yeah right!

On a side note I wonder will the mini budget affect prize bonds in regards to tax, DIRT etc. if they up DIRT then prize bonds could become quite attractive to a lot of folks in relation to safety and their tax free status, however if they abolish the tax free status of prize bonds they would become worthless to a lot of folks myself included, hhmmm

Surely if its 4:1 on €1000, then each €1000 in the €100,000 has a 4:1 chance and therefore overall €100,000 has a 4:1 chance.

last year when we renewed our car insurance we got €50 worths of bonds, valid for a year, and won €75. i bought €4000 worth of bonds, just holding on to the cash for a year before giving to my son, and in the first three months, i won €75 each month. not a bad return. havent won anything since, but with the interest rates so low putting 2 or 3 thousand in bonds for a few years doesnt seem such a bad idea.

I have a few for several years now and have never won a single thing on them. Do you have to keep checking online or will you be notified in the post if you win?

They notify you by post however their website has the ability to check unclaimed numbers as well.

Irish Life used to sell thousands of them. Free with every industrial branch policy. Years and years of them. Customers would get their photo taken holding their winning cheque in the local paper if they as much as a £1,000 and there weren't that many. This would spur the sale of many more. Prize Bonds remind me of the Father Ted scene "Unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that because it's ****e. ..."

Back