Odd phone number

Stitcher

I missed a call from a number that began +353 60 204 xxxx. It did not come up as a known number when I checked online.

Does the above mean it is actually an Irish number (353) ? I can't find 60 or 060 as a code for anywhere in Ireland. The last four digits (not posted in case this is legit!) do look familiar but number has not come as a contact. There was no voice mail or text so am puzzled.

@Stitcher - it was probably a scam call. Such numbers look like irish mobile numbers.

If you did answer it, you could get an automated message saying something like "bank account has been hacked / Amazon account frozen" or actually someone at the end of the line, trying to scam you out of something, or even maybe a hang up, so you'd call the number back which would be at premium rates. Just block the number and forget about it. You may get more of these...

Hi Jazz, thanks for that sound advice. I have had scam calls from Irish mobile numbers with 087 etc prefixes on a variety of topics, Amazon prime, tax, pps numbers, etc but this is first time I've seen 060, is that a mobile network? Probably was a scam. I don't ever ring back if I've missed a call from a number rather than contact. They'll leave a message or call again if it's important! Heard of one today that asked callers to press 1 if they were vaccinated, then your phone is locked

If it is a valid person phoning they will call back and leave a message. Otherwise ignore it.

but this is first time I've seen 060, is that a mobile network?
The scammers are setting the number they appear to phone from. At times they don't do a lot of homework and choose patterns that don't correspond to real Irish numbers.

Leo: "The scammers are setting the number they appear to phone from. At times they don't do a lot of homework and choose patterns that don't correspond to real Irish numbers"
(Sorry, can't figure out how to quote!)

So can you find out where the call actually came from if what appears is a dud number or indeed, some random persons legitimate number?

(Sorry, can't figure out how to quote!)
Highlight the text you want to quote and select 'reply' from the pop up button.

So can you find out where the call actually came from if what appears is a dud number or indeed, some random persons legitimate number?
It is not possible for the recipient of these calls to determine that, no.

The networks can trace it the the source country, but often no further.

Back