Odd phone call

roker

I just had a phone call a 086 number and there was an Asian lady who said "stay safe stay indoors" I answered OK yes and hung
I cannot see the point of this one, anyone else had this

I've had a couple of calls from what initially look like Irish mobiles but they have an additional 3 inserted before the 86 so it looks like this:
+353861231231 - valid number
+353386123123 - scam number

I didn't answer but one went to voicemail and it was a recorded message from the "Financial Crime Authority" ;)...unsurprisingly I haven't called them back

Yeah I'm getting calls that are very similar to my own mobile number but a few digits off.

A family member got that "Financial Crime Authority" call also.

To clarify, it was 353863225302
I think they where after my name to correspond with the number but I only answered with "helo"
That is also a few digits off my own number

I have had several calls from "the department of social welfare department"...I kid you not. The number was a slight variation of MY number.

I just had a phone call a 086 number and there was an Asian lady who said "stay safe stay indoors" I answered OK yes and hung
I cannot see the point of this one, anyone else had this
Why did she tell me to stay safe and stay indoors, I'm afraid I'm going to get hit with lightning now

Call today from 'Irish Tax from 086 8306238. Hung up. Wonder if I'm due a refund?

Be careful publishing the numbers. They can be very legitimate numbers but the scammers piggy back on them.

The software available to these guys is cheap and they can enter any number to show as caller id.
Good point, they're just spoofing random numbers. Chances of them happening on one that might legitimately call you are slim though.

Chances of them happening on one that might legitimately call you are slim though.
It's actually been an issue for us with work mobiles. We've a large number of mobile numbers all in a range, and some of the spoofed numbers are the actual number of other colleagues.
The programmes used to generate the ids will never call you twice from the same number, so it's pointless blocking them.

some of the spoofed numbers are the actual number of other colleagues.
Yep,that could be a problem alright, but somewhat rare I would imagine, also surely most would have their colleagues number(s) in their contact list.
Just guessing ,but what would be the chances of a spam number actually turning out to be the number of some person who I don't know, trying to contact me ? Pretty slim I would think.
The programmes used to generate the ids will never call you twice from the same number, so it's pointless blocking them.
Not always the case though :-
[broken link removed]

also surely most would have their colleagues number(s) in their contact list.
You're correct. I'm probably the only person in the country that doesn't have the hundreds of my colleagues that could legitimately call me stored in my contacts...

Not always the case though
Correct. I should have been clearer that my comment was in relation to the current high volume of spam calls used spoofed Irish mobile numbers.

You're correct. I'm probably the only person in the country that doesn't have the hundreds of my colleagues that could legitimately call me stored in my contacts...
Not 100% sure if that comment is sans sarcasm . I would hazard a guess that there are not too many people in Ireland with hundreds of colleagues who may/wish to contact them. However I just checked my phone and I have over 600 contacts stored, family, friends, clients, (ex)colleagues and spurious (haven't a clue who some of them are), so well within reasonable limits to store many contacts.

Correct. I should have been clearer that my comment was in relation to the current high volume of spam calls used spoofed Irish mobile numbers.
But we can't be sure, can we? Unless over time somebody has done research and documented these numbers fully. Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that IMO there is a positive to blocking these numbers.

I installed a call filtering/blocking app that allowed me to block numbers following a pattern and it stopped about 95% of these calls for me.

They stopped entirely after about 2-3 weeks. After which I uninstalled the app. Makes me think its probably the one company, or system that was calling me and when it never got picked up, the software moved on.

It seemed to be about 4 to 5 calls from the same number before it would move on and try another number multiple times. . Likewise with a pattern of numbers all similar, often similar to my own.

I got that twice today
I would ignore it . As a matter of interest is the mobile number similar to number that you were in contact with recently. This happened to me. The number that rang me was similar to my sisters who had rang me earlier that day but had two of the digits reversed .

I would ignore it . As a matter of interest is the mobile number similar to number that you were in contact with recently. This happened to me. The number that rang me was similar to my sisters who had rang me earlier that day but had two of the digits reversed .
It was a recorded message

Back