Obtaining British passport

Itchy

Grandmother (maternal) can obtain a passport as a "British subject"...

[broken link removed]

Could that then be enable her daughter to apply for a passport under...

[broken link removed]?

However that states:

That includes people who
  • could prove legitimate descent from a father* who one of the above conditions applied to. Before the introduction of the British Nationality Act 1981, a person could not claim nationality from his or her mother.

Could one then apply for a passport through ones mother or not due to the a/m act?

I have had to remove several irrelevant posts from this thread from others. Please note the posting guidelines. Further off topic posts will be deleted and users may be banned if they persist in nuisance posting. The original poster has posed a fairly straightforward question. If you can help answer it then please do so. Otherwise don't bother posting.

The person's maternal grandmother was a British subject (presumably through the Southern Ireland rule), so could apply for a passport. It's not clear whether the qustion of 'inheriting' citizenship from a female parent even becomes relevant if the parent was only a British subject to begin with.

A sure way to find out is for the daughter to apply -- I know that's not the answer you want!

As far as I understand The Ireland Act 1949 and British Nationality Act 1981 entitled person born in ROI pror to 1949 to to register as British subjects and that as British subjects retained the right to apply for registration as a British citizen after 5 years residence in the UK. Irish citizens seeking to become British citizens are usually required to live in the UK and become naturalised after meeting the normal residence and other requirements, unless they can claim British citizenship by descent from a UK born or naturalised parent.
Source

From the Embassy website (www.britishembassy.ie):

"British nationality is now usually transmitted only to the first generation born abroad:
Before 1 January 1983, this could only be passed on through a British father born or registered as a Citizen of the UK and Colonies in the UK. Usually, the father had to be married to the mother of the child, before or after the birth.
Since 1 January 1983, the claim can also be made through a British mother born or registered as a Citizen of the UK and Colonies in the UK."

As regards British Subjects and for full details of how citizenship may be claimed, I'd recommend checking here:

[broken link removed]

or writing to the Embassy with full details (including copies of any relevant birth certificates etc.).

Hope that helps!

Back