O'Briens Sandwich Bar

I was just at O'Briens.........I got a tripledecker sandwhich and a black coffee. It came to 9.30 euros......I think that is pretty steep.

If I were an American tourist I'd be aghast!

Why were you shocked? Did they not have a price list up or did you just fail to check how much things would cost before making a purchase?
You mean you were ripped off because they wouldn't give you some free crisps? :confused:

Not everyone tots up the bill for what they've ordered prior to ordering, we all should but very few do,

You can get a sandwich made up in super value or tesco for 2.45/2.50 and go and eat it somewhere else..your car maybe or bring it back to where you work or some park?

or get something from Subway, or are they pricey in the Pale too ?

Tasty healthy fast food and the coffee in the local one is about the nicest & cheapest around.

Or is it not 'trendy' enough ?

Not everyone tots up the bill for what they've ordered prior to ordering, we all should but very few do,
I don't mean calculate it to the cent but at least do a quick check to see if the prices on offer match your budget or personalised subjective criteria for what constitutes value for money. That way there should be no shock of the sort that some people claim to have experienced on paying.

Used to think it was just me you tried to try to wind up with "sharp" and sarcastic responses to my posts. But guess what Clubman, one of my new year resolutions is not to give you either the pleasure or the satisfaction of rising to it- so a happy new year to you and may you have a very pleasant 2008:).
My post is neither sarcastic nor a wind-up.

Well read the part of the post that says.........

.....the last time I went to an O'Briens (more than 6 months ago - so I would not rush back there).

... so yes I have actually been out for lunch a few times since then would you believe & have opted not to go to O'Briens... that answer your question?
Not really - I simply don't understand why some people don't bother to check the prices in advance and only moan about bad value or rip-offs after the fact. Unless an establishment is in breach of the law there will be a price list on display - check it first and only transact business with them if the prices match your specific criteria for value for money or whatever. People persistently posting here about being shocked or ripped-off when the prices are staring them in the face allowing them to make informed decisions whether or not to purchase never fail to amuse me.

Hi Clubman,

I find that a good Americano standard size coffee can cost from €1.80 (small outlet beside Harbourmaster in IFSC) to 2.50 (Butlers Cafe chain - smaller quantity, but, good quality - you pay extra for the free choc!). I don't drink Cappuccino's or Latte's.... I need the "kick" from real coffee! A lunchtime pitstop sambo can cost from €3.50 to €5.00 depending on the filling.

Bewleys Coffee, Grafton Street 2.70 for a cappuchino walk round the corner to Bewleys on Chatham Street and its 2.50………
Interesting - thanks for that.

For what its worth, I pay €3 a pop for Americanos in Costa Coffee (priced similarly at £2 across the border, incidentally) and its worth every cent because the coffee is lovely - far nicer than the coffee in Subway stores, for example.

Hi Clubman,

(Butlers Cafe chain - smaller quantity, but, good quality - you pay extra for the free choc!).

You have to pay for your free choc? How awful, I hate when I have to pay for "free" stuff....:D

Used to think it was just me you tried to try to wind up with "sharp" and sarcastic responses to my posts. But guess what Clubman, one of my new year resolutions is not to give you either the pleasure or the satisfaction of rising to it- so a happy new year to you and may you have a very pleasant 2008:).

why not put him on your ignore list. When i read the thread i was just waiting for his typical........did you not look at the prices:rolleyes:

why not put him on your ignore list. When i read the thread i was just waiting for his typical........did you not look at the prices:rolleyes:
What's the problem with asking that? The original poster was shocked that the bill came to €26.10 but the price list was presumably clearly displayed for all to see. Makes no sense to me.

Two adults and two kids have lunch & coffee for €26? I'm amazed that anyone is surprised by this. How much do people expect to pay for four lunches in Dublin?

O'Briens certainly don't do anything special and perhaps are not great value either but you could hardly expect to pay much less than this anywhere else?

I was just at O'Briens.........I got a tripledecker sandwhich and a black coffee. It came to 9.30 euros......I think that is pretty steep.

If I were an American tourist I'd be aghast!

Does no-one think this was alot??!

I brought my five year old niece to the play "The Gruffalo" the Friday after Christmas(great for the kids btw) and on the way back, we went into Temple Bar for some Food. We wanted to go to Elephant and Castle, but they were booked out for an hour and a quarter.

Started lashing rain, so we just ran into Thunder Road Cafe. There were three of us, two adults and a child. We ordered one starter, between the two adults one main course between the adults, one child's meal, one milk, one soft drink and a pint of Coors light. Came to €49.00

What was more annoying was the standard of the food for that price. The chicken wings to start were just barely edible. The fajitas were edible but a very small portion for €22.00. The meat was in a tiny tiny bowl. (Abbey Lodge in Celbridge does lovely fajitas on a sizzling platter for €16.00) The accompanying wedges were like black sods. No one ate them. The fish fingers on the childs portion were of a very poor quality. Eddie Rockets would have been far nicer, and not as expensive.

So guys, beware.

The guy who set up O'Briens can't think of his name, did a lecture in the Ilac on starting your own business. He's a very honest entertaining guy and he explained how basically he started making money when he tarted up the sandwiches e.g. thicker bread, and charging much more. There was no market for budget coffee and cheap sandwiches. Incidentially he does alot for charity. Brody Sweeny is his name

Does no-one think this was alot??!
Yes. I would not pay it from the fare described. But I would have looked at the price list first and decided that beforehand.

What was more annoying was the standard of the food for that price. The chicken wings to start were just barely edible. The fajitas were edible but a very small portion for €22.00. The meat was in a tiny tiny bowl. (Abbey Lodge in Celbridge does lovely fajitas on a sizzling platter for €16.00) The accompanying wedges were like black sods. No one ate them. The fish fingers on the childs portion were of a very poor quality.
So presumably you complained and asked them to take the food back and not charge you for something that was inedible? If not - why not?

I don't think €26 is that expensive for 4 lunches - given that it was eat in presumably?? In fairness from my experiences, O'Briens list their prices clearly so it's up to the individual to decide. I don't think anywhere in Dublin would do a do down sambo and coffee for less than €5-6. Tbh I don't think this is a shocking price, sure you would pay the same for a pint in some pubs. I do find the pricing of muffins / flapjacks often OTT (often you would get a sambo for the same price!) but again, buyer beware.

Carpedeum, there is usually the same caffeine / hit in an americano as a latte/cappucino - they are just topped up with milk / froth rather than water :)

Back