Nutgrove Rathfarnham

D

dowchaboy

Hi,

Looking at houses in Nutgrove area at the moment, Mountain view drive in particular.
Anyone have any experience living there or the general area?
Would appreciate input on local amenities (pubs, restaurants etc.), any bad experinces etc.

Thanks

Dowcha Boy!

The Nutgrove area is a good location in terms of proximity to shopping such as Dundrum Town Centre, Nutgrove SC etc. Its too far from luas and bus routes aren't bad. There are a good few pubs close by such as the Bottle Tower, Yellow House etc. But Nutgrove is a bit of a depressing area. Its mainly dominated by ex-council houses and there is a rough element in the area. Mountainview in particular is a rough estate and although things should improve in the next few years as more young couples and professionals buy in the area, I wouldn't recommend it as a place to live. The old council houses around Loreto or those on Nutgrove Avenue would probably be a better buy.

At the top of Mountain View there is Meadow view and Meadow Park which are not ex council but more expensive and imo much nicer roads to live. It has so many excellent amenities..including Schools, Parks,Shopping centres and transport links etc..

Nutgrove is excellent place to live in, I lived there for ages. The best part is the people, they are very friendly!

southsideboy said:
Mountainview in particular is a rough estate and although things should improve in the next few years as more young couples and professionals buy in the area, I wouldn't recommend it as a place to live. The old council houses around Loreto or those on Nutgrove Avenue would probably be a better buy.
I can see how Meadow view and Meadow Park are much nice roads, with large Semis on them, but to me Loreto looks the same as Mountainview i.e. terraced ex-council estates. Can you expand a bit on why you wouldn't recommend Mountainview?

Thanks for you help

Dowcha Boy!

Well as i say Mountainview is a rougher estate. I'm basing this on the fact that i used to live in the Rathfarnham area and Mountainview would always have been considered very rough (probably not as bad now). Also if u drive around on the weekends and at night, u will see that there are a good few gangs of youths that hang around. If u look at the court pages in the Echo newspaper (local newspaper for Tallaght/Templeogue/Rathfarnham), the amount of cases involving people from Mountainview is quite high. I'm sure the majority of people living here are decent hard working people but i do know that there is a bad element there and am just letting u know that. I'm sure u will find this when u buy a lot of ex-council houses (as there is a mix of people in most estates) but around Loreto always seems quieter. Also i know people who have bought there in recent years and they have found it to be fairly quiet (just the odd problem). I would imagine that prices would be higher in Loreto?? Personally i wouldn't buy in the Nutgrove area at all as i feel u are paying a premium for a Rathfarnham address but thats just in my opinion. Anyway, a property in Rathfarnham should be a sound investment as its a mature area with a good reputation so u can't really go wrong financially if u buy there.

Thanks for the info, don't think I'll give up on Nutgrove just yet ...
Its worth while getting as much information as possible before taking the plunge.

All the best

Having lived in Mountainview Drive for the past 4 yrs I can safely say we've never had any trouble. We have lovely neighbours and I would have no problem recommending it as a place to live. And just to add, before we moved here, I would have had very very preconcieved notions about the estate, Not exactly the kind of place I grew up, IYKWIM.

I've posted here before on my experience living in the Grange Manor estate. There was another similar discussion on Rathf, would be worth it for you to search for it as I am too tired to write it all again (mostly positive btw !)

i`ve grown up in mountain view and would only wish i could afford to buy my own house here its a lovely esate and we have had no trouble EVER.its got pubs,clubs,restraunts,shopping centers,churchs,parks,primary and secondary schools and most importantly great community spirt and sense of pride.As i`m only 25 and have a good rapour with local kids i know that most of the kids "hanging around"are from surrounding areas!!!!!

molly271 said:
i`ve grown up in mountain view and would only wish i could afford to buy my own house here its a lovely esate and we have had no trouble EVER.its got pubs,clubs,restraunts,shopping centers,churchs,parks,primary and secondary schools and most importantly great community spirt and sense of pride.As i`m only 25 and have a good rapour with local kids i know that most of the kids "hanging around"are from surrounding areas!!!!!

Mountainview=Holylands! When I was growing up in Dundrum, it was a no go area, the dogs walked around in pairs etc. Many a criminal has come from this area and recent cases in the papers can prove same. Probably has calmed down a bit but would take a long time to get the bad element out of this area. As usual a small % of scumbags have ruined a nice location

Are there no criminals in Dundrum? Maybe I will move there so. Or maybe I'll stay in Mountainview where Ive never had a problem with cars/break-ins/gangs/drugs/criminals. Im sure there are some criminals living there but they dont bother me or any of my neighbours. There are criminals living in all sorts of areas IMO. The original poster was asking does anyone have experience of living there. I have 32 years of it and as I posted in a previous post *chose* to buy there when I had other options and I still choose to live there when I actually could move to surrounding areas. Many an accountant/bank manager/solicitor has come from that area too believe it or not!

Hi everyone, first time poster and first time buyer! I'm currently looking at areas I could afford to buy (under 300k). Ideally I would like a house, min 2 bed, ideally 3, with something resembling a garden, in a not-too-terrible area :)
I know this is an old thread but just wondering if anyone has more info on the Mountain View area of Nutgrove? I've noticed that the property prices are a lot lower than other areas nearby (therefore edging into what I could afford!) but I'm thinking this must be for a reason??? Anyone have any opinions??

Thanks in advance!

Well as i say Mountainview is a rougher estate. I'm basing this on the fact that i used to live in the Rathfarnham area and Mountainview would always have been considered very rough (probably not as bad now). Also if u drive around on the weekends and at night, u will see that there are a good few gangs of youths that hang around. If u look at the court pages in the Echo newspaper (local newspaper for Tallaght/Templeogue/Rathfarnham), the amount of cases involving people from Mountainview is quite high. I'm sure the majority of people living here are decent hard working people but i do know that there is a bad element there and am just letting u know that. I'm sure u will find this when u buy a lot of ex-council houses (as there is a mix of people in most estates) but around Loreto always seems quieter. Also i know people who have bought there in recent years and they have found it to be fairly quiet (just the odd problem). I would imagine that prices would be higher in Loreto?? Personally i wouldn't buy in the Nutgrove area at all as i feel u are paying a premium for a Rathfarnham address but thats just in my opinion. Anyway, a property in Rathfarnham should be a sound investment as its a mature area with a good reputation so u can't really go wrong financially if u buy there.
Nutgrove I'd say is not a great place to live I've have lived here for 20 years and when I was between 12 and 16 I got beaten up and robbed 7 times.

Why doesn't the OP take regular walks up there to suss out the place for themselves. Evening/night walks to check the atmosphere, late afternoon walks to maybe chat to some locals.

Says it all really.

and

By this logic is Foxrock a no go area as Graham Dwyer lived there? ;)

Agreed though the area around Nutgrove isn't somewhere I'd want to live.

Back