Number of owners

teasup

My wife bought a 2003 car a few weeks ago. When she was talking to the salesman he told her there was two owners. It also stated this on the web (I have a copy of this). However when she recieved her VLC it stated there was three previous owners. If she had known this she wouldn't have even looked at the car as its only 3 1/3 years old with 3 owners.

Does she have any come back?

Yes.

Take the web printout showing 2 previous owners and the VLC showing 3 and bring them to the dealer.

Request a refund. Be firm, and be prepared to go legal.

I recently viewed a motorhome advertised at 42000k,The garage told me price was a mistake and was selling at 56000. I called back there a few weeks ago and was told the same thing. I suggested they should change ad on carzone. It is still advertised at lower price. Surely there is a law against this kind of misleading advertising.

I had the opposite experience...I bought a car on carzone.ie
It was listed as having 2 previous owners but only had one?

A little bit of a sidetrack but why can't basic information like the number of previous owners be available to any member of the public who wants this information, and at no cost? It seems the consumer is at a serious disadvantage in being forced to rely on dealers' statements alone...

I recently viewed a motorhome advertised at 42000k,The garage told me price was a mistake and was selling at 56000. I called back there a few weeks ago and was told the same thing. I suggested they should change ad on carzone. It is still advertised at lower price. Surely there is a law against this kind of misleading advertising.

This is a tricky area. there is a concept incontract law called "Invitation to treat". Essentially the seller is inviting would-be buyers to express an interest in the item. It does not mean that the seller has to sell at the price advertised, or even sell it at all.

"A shop owner displaying their goods for sale is generally making an invitation to treat (Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots Cash Chemists [1953] 1 QB 401). They are not obliged to sell the good to anyone who is willing to pay for them, even if additional signage such as "special offer" accompanies the display of the good. (But see bait and switch.) This distinction was legally relevant in Fisher v Bell [1961] 1 QB 394, where it was held that displaying a flicknife for sale in a shop did not contravene legislation which prohibited offering for sale such a weapon. The distinction also means that if a shop mistakenly displays a good for sale at a very low price it is not obliged to sell it for that amount [1]."

You'll note though that there are caveats which makes the whole thing complex. I'd say that in the case you mentioned, the wrong price is shown in the ad but the advertiser has no intention to sell at that price, and I'd say has no legal obligation to do so.

When i bought my car from the dealer it was registered to them and when i got the vehicle licensing cert it had one previous owner ie:garage so it is on the VLC

Back