NTLs request to run new cable across my new facias.

MAJJ

Hi Folks,

Just seeking some advice on NTLs request to run new cable across my new facias.

About 3 weeks ago had facia,gutters etc replaced on a 30 year old house, neatly tucking away the NTL cable that I don't use.

One week after this I get a letter from NTL them outlining that they are planning on replacing the cable in the estate. My dumb luck!!

I've written to them outlining my new facia and my concerns about their intentions. I outlined that I am not a customer, instructed them not to access my property without written consent from me. Also, highlighted that I didn't necessarily want to prohibit my neighbours access.

They've since been in touch - nice friendly guy whose role I suspect is to smooth things out in advance and call you
Sir a lot :)

He outlined after much grilling the options open :

1) He pointed me to recent work in the estate that they did - which looked poor

2) After my suggestion to replace the facia he said that they won't remove existing facia, route the cable and replace facia
due to problems with resealing it correctly.

3) When I asked if I said no. He used a veiled threat that if all else fails they dig holes on the road and use a
mechanical mole to link up to the next house.

Anyone been through this particular debate with NTL and care to share?

Anyone suggest what my rights are in this situation? I'm not a customer, I have no agreement with them and the house is 30 years old so they can't have an agreement at building stage. But I can't rule out they have agreement from a previous owner.

If they dig the road I assume they can't block access to my home or tunnel under my land?

I have my first home after many years of saving, wan't things the way I want and more than anything on a point of principal if their suggestion is not up to standard I wan't to say no but be sure of my rights.

I will probably consult a solicitor but would greatly appreciate feedback first.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Thanks,
MAJJ

Hi,

I had some dealings with NTL when they were supplying broadband and telephone lines to our estate some years ago. It was at the time that they were putting a lot of money into their systems and had recruited a lot of new staff.

I can't comment on their right to enter your property/fit cables but I will say that they were a disaster in our situation. They made a mess of the garden and part of the driveway. I eventually got a free extra point for life off them but only after I had a long discussion with a supervisor and area manager.

They ran a circular holder for the cables down the side of the house but were able to blend it quite well with the existing pebble dashing.

Our situation was probably different to yours because we wanted the broadband and were existing customers.

I hope things work out for you but don't let yourself get too stressed out about it because as we all know our houses will be there long after us.

I would be slow to agree anything with them unless you are entirely satisfied with the procedure for fixing the cable in advance. As for the threat of digging up outside your house, I'd definitely react very strongly to that.

NTL should be able to hide the cable under the soffit. But if they insist on the fascia make sure they screw any fittings and not nail through the fascia borad as you might have an old ply board underneath that might not react well to plenty of nails being driven through it.

I had this issue with another cable company. They did what I requested - after I refused access otherwise and gave a written undertaking to rectify any damage caused in advance of any works carried out.

Don't believe the story of digging up outside your drive. It's not their only option. They may be able to access neighbours from the other direction or fix the cable to the boundary wall. Surely the don't intend coming down the wall from your neighbour and digging up their driveway, and then outside yours to get to the other side.

Don't be threatened. You're the owner of the property. I'd be amazed if they had an existing right of access from a previous owner.

My understanding is that they have no automatic right to use your private property for such purposes. If you do accede to their requests then it should be on your own terms. Implicit or explicit threats about what might happen should you not accede to their requests are totally objectionable in my opinion. There is another recent thread about this and a some real life examples.

It's bad enough when you are a customer (NTL are upgrading on our road at the moment, and are doing a very poor job of it).

If I were you, I wouldn't let them near your house. I'd make it clear that they do not have your permission to do any work on your property (they have no rights to do so without your consent, and they know this).

It's up to them to provide alternatives for your neighbours.

They are not entitled to do anything. It is entirely at your discretion.

One positive point, it does give you the facility to cut off the neighbours if they are noisy etc.

Hi Folks,

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Lots to mull over.

Clubman/Suellen - I had read that thread a long time back but hadn't realised so much had been 'added' to it.

Cheers,
MAJJ

Why don't you tell them they can do it if they pay you a few quid to cover the recent work you did !

Hi

I am aware of a recent experience, whereby NTL entered a property without permission, installed their cables up the side of a house and along the front of it without the consent of the owner (a messy job amongst other things), where the owner of the house is not even an NTL subscriber.

The owner of the house complained and after getting messed about eventually offered to cut the NTL line, only to be greeted next morning by a smiley person offering free basic NTL for life, if the cables were permitted to stay.

That incident occured approx 2 months ago and despite ongoing requests from NTL, the deal has not yet been confirmed in writting by NTL.

I've suggested they instruct a solicitor and insist the cables be removed immediately, along with NTL paying for any appropriate decorative / repair work etc.

Anyone else having these type of experiences ?

Thanks

Back