NTL charging consumer to disconnect service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

z108

Someone nameless of my acquaintance who has gone through a hard time due to recently becoming a widow with young kids has decided she cannot afford to continue paying both NTL and also Sky Movies package etc for the one household.
As Sky provides all the channels the household needs and the NTL, despite being paid for, had never been used in years, she decided to call NTL and terminate her account.
The response relayed back to myself is NTL told her that to disconnect her household from NTL she has to pay a 100 euro disconnection charge. Whats going on ? She has told them that since she cant afford the 42 euro they are presently charging her per month then how is she supposed to afford a 100 Euro disconnection fee ??? :confused:
It seems like a racket and highly anti competitive to me. What should be the next action? If someone refuses/cannot pay their NTL bill would they be pursued for the bill or simply disconnected ? I am finding it hard to believe this really happened butapparently it did. Under these circumstances maybe I could call NTL and claim she is dead?

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back