NTL broadband..how do they know??

E

elkii

My search on this site does not seem to work..I'm SURE this topic has come up before.

Currently I have NTL boradband and am trying to transfer it to my new house, 500 yards away, in 2 weeks time.
Broadband is installed on the road behind me so I assumed no problem. But not so! The sales guy in NTL assures me it could be installed 'anytime'! But WHEN???? Do the installation engineers not have a plan they work to? Apparently not..and the sales guy said 'Even if they do, they don't tell us!' My god!!!!! How frustrating is this??? I only pay 25 euro a month so am reluctant to change..

I also need to keep the email address (ntlworld.ie)..he didn't know either that if I used dial-up coud I still access my email on the webpage...no idea he said.....ARGGGGH!

NTL

Sorry got so carried away ranting..

my questions are:-

1. If you have moved from NTL broadband to another ISP, have you successfully managed to hold on to your email addresses?

2. What are the Wi-Fi options here..we are facing trees and I think that is a no-no for wireless technology?

3. Are ESAT still the best broadband provider in terms of speed, service and price?

Thanks!!!

NTL

> 1. If you have moved from NTL broadband to another ISP, have you successfully managed to hold on to your email addresses?

Do you mean moving from ISP1 to ISP2 and retaining your [email protected] addresses for example? This may be possible but some ISPs will only maintain such addresses for existing customers and/or may require you to connect in on their broadband/dial-up to access it. So, basically, it depends...

> 2. What are the Wi-Fi options here..we are facing trees and I think that is a no-no for wireless technology?

Do you mean WiFi broadband such as Irish Broadband or the like? Again it depends and a site survey may be necessary (assuming that you are within one of the normal coverage areas) to know for sure. WIMAX should obviate the need for clear line of sight locations but that will probably only become a reality from next year.

Satellite might be an alternative but it is more expensive and there are some latency issues with access:

www.digiweb.ie

> 3. Are ESAT still the best broadband provider in terms of speed, service and price?

UTV beat them on price as far as I can see:

[broken link removed]

The boards.ie broadband forum might be of interest to you too:

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/f....php?f=259

Thanks

Thanks that is useful advice...will have a look at all the links!!!

Re: NTL

When I moved house I went online to change my registered phone number with NTL the day after I got a phone line installed.
A few days later I rang to ask for NTL to install broadband. They asked me to turn on my computer and plug the modem line in to check something and it was working already!

ntl

Hey Joe thats intersting. Did you take the NTL modem with you when you moved or do you have your own?

I was under the impression that NTL need to do something to the normal cable to enable it to send and receive data? Or perhaps you moved to a house where it was previously broadband enabled??

Re: ntl

Yeah, I took the NTL modem with me. I lost my microfilter though but it still worked without it.
I think I was the first to ever get broadband in that house also.

Back