NPPR - notification to pay or late payment demand?

errigal

Hi

Ive just stumbled across the fact that although I paid the NPPR tax of 200 euro on time in 2009 and 2010, I dont have any record of having paid it in 2011.

I dont think I received any notification to pay it (or I would have), and I haven't received any notificiation to say I must pay it + per month penalty.

Has anyone else received a late demand for payment - just wondering whether notification for payment or penalties ever get sent out.

A.

You can also view your receipt online. To view your account or receipt online, go to www.nppr.ie and click “login”. You will need to provide your account reference code and PIN.

When you login for the first time you will be prompted to change your PIN.

To view our frequently asked questions, go to www.nppr.ie/FAQ.aspx and to contact us go to www.nppr.ie/ContactUs.aspx.

If I remember correctly I received a reminder to pay via e-mail as I have always paid online. Try to access your online account. Haven't been arrears yet, TG, so can't advise on that aspect.

The liability date of the NPPR charge is the 31st March every year,late payments fees apply from the 1st July each year.

No they do not send out reminder or details of arrears,its very much self declaration.

Log onto your NPPR a/c,that will detail all payments received,do not just rely on your paper records which may have been misplaced.

If all that fails pay it asap as its clocking up by €20 per month in late penalties.

I dont think I received any notification to pay it.

All county councils seem to be acting differently on this. Some I think don't send any reminders, why would they, they don't know who to send them to and the amount outstanding is growing so by doing nothing they will get more.

Thanks for the replies - I've no objection to paying the 200 for last year, but the penalty element is galling... accept its my own fault, just damned annoying.

I've also just realised that I haven't paid for 2011. I paid in 2009 and 2010. And I have now racked up penalties of €180 on the fee of €200.

There is a box on the website that you can tick if you do not wish to receive reminder. I am sure that there is no way I would have ticked this box.

Is there any course of appeal to NPPR?

I have a lot of sympathy with you. I had to pay the penalty and have had no joy in getting anything back since.

I know of a few others who are in the same position and got no reminders and have had to stump up.

I notice in one of your earlier emails, errigal, that you say that it's your own fault. But is it?

I received a reminder in 2010 (I didn't tick the box saying I didn't want reminders) but not in 2011.

The position the NPPR take is that regardless of what you have said about reminders the obligation is on you to pay it and there is no getting away from that, galling as it is.

Ultimately email is never guaranteed to deliver anyway and that was how I got my reminders in previous years. I don't know if I ticked the box or not. Its also possible that gmail put it in my spam folder which I have since deleted. So I cant say for 100% certainty, but I strongly suspect they never sent me a reminder as I know others in the same position who are saying the same thing.

Don't be so obnoxious, Derek.

It is outrageous that you request a reminder from NPPR, they don't send it and then levy penalties for late payment.

I'm not being obnoxious. Did you forget you owned a second house? You don't have proof that you requested a reminder, even if you did it doesn't matter, the date has been fixed for three years now, do you forget about Christmas too or expect a reminder for that?

Similar issue, response from LGMA (Local Government Management Agency)

I have had the same issue. I remembered recently that I needed to pay this and it was only when I logged in that I saw I had not paid it for 2011. I too had received an email reminder for 2010.

I email and asked [email protected] why did I receive an email for 2010 but none for 2011 or 2012. I also asked why no notification of late charges of any form was sent.

The main points of their response (as I read them) are:

• The reminder is automatic and so I would have received the email for 2011. (It was probably treated as spam).
  • It is a self declared charge and so the individual is responsible for paying it.
  • They do not send out any correspondence other than the reminder, even when charges start to accrue.
The email address I provided was for a 'gmail' account and I cannot find any relevant emails in the spam or bin folders.

IMHO, more and more websites are using email reminders as a way of notifying when payments etc are due. I think it is a reasonable assumption that if you sign up for a reminder (and especially if you receive at least one) then you can expect to continue to receive them in the future.

If they are not going to guarantee the emails then they should at least state that at the top level. Basically saying that the reminder email is useless as you have to make sure to manually check anyway. They should do this rather than hiding it down through several clicks in the FAQ.

The response from LGMA also stated that they do not send out additional emails or communication for the late charges. This to me is unfair as if an email is genuinely lost then there is no opportunity for an honest person to catch the problem while the amount to be paid is relatively low.

One thing I have since noticed is that when I logged in this year I was again asked to add and confirm my email. I have a feeling that they may have had a failure in their system between 2010 and 2011 resulting in email addresses being lost.

One note regarding a "second house". This is not my second home, I no longer live in Ireland and as this is not my principle residence I am liable to pay the charge.

Richard

I think you've summed it up there Richard. I would say a lot of people find themselves in the same position as ourselves. I wrote to some of the local government TDs but got little satisfaction in terms of responses.

Back