NPPR €200 charge: How does the Govt/LA propose to track down & tackle defaulters?

tosullivan

Deadline for this is 30 June. After that I'm told penalties apply if its not paid. Does anyone know how the govt is tracking down people with 2nd homes to get them to pay up?

I dont think they have to track them down as if you dont pay you are clocking up Penalties and when you go to sell your house you will have a large bill to pay when the solicitor does his searches.

We got a letter from the local council pointing out this charge (as we're registered with the PTRB I guess they got the details from there) but as Hans said, not sure they will be chasing anyone who hasn't paid until such time as you go to sell the house.

i paid it last week and i see that the cheques have been cashed already. last time it was 3 months before cheques were cashed.

Deadline for this is 30 June. After that I'm told penalties apply if its not paid. Does anyone know how the govt is tracking down people with 2nd homes to get them to pay up?

This is the second year of the charge, so if you paid it last year, they're waiting for you to pay it this year!

Monies are raised for local authorities, and follow up by the local authorities is region specific! I know that Meath CC will text you to remind you, whereas Monaghan CC don't make contact at all...

i didn't pay it last year so I'm prob gonna get hit for penalties on that aswell...GREAT...!!

.......forgot totally about it. Dont think there was any publicity or any notification last year. Luckily I heard it on the radio last few days otherwise I wouldn't have got in this time either. I think I heard it was talked about coming in a couple of yrs ago but never thought twice about it after that

The local co. co never sent out any info or reminders to my house or the other house

What about a house willed to sons & daughters which is being sold & proceeds divvied up ..... it doesnt technically belong to the indivual members of the family , would fees be payable in this instance ?

Last edited:
I dont think they have to track them down as if you dont pay you are clocking up Penalties and when you go to sell your house you will have a large bill to pay when the solicitor does his searches.
Unless the house wasn't livable, that way you only pay if you make the house livable.

Sorry, OP, but the tax on NPPR has been widely communicated in every media source - newpapers, radio, TV, Joe Duffy (The Oracle)...can't plead ignorance on this. Just wait for the next Budget - looks like we'll be paying Property Tax on primary residence - so, make sure you keep abreast of the Irish News.

maybe it was but I don't read the papers...had a bad year after my mam died and really everything took 2nd fiddle so to be honest it hadn't even registered with me

Having last my Mam in the last year, I totally empathise with you. Unfortunately, the State, Department of Finance and Revenue Commissioners do not feel likewise - so start reading the news again, listen to the radio (I like RTE1 because there's a good mix of News and Chat Shows during the day) and pay attention to news which might affect you and yours. I know it's difficult at times, and I hope that you get your stuff sorted. Maybe write to the NPPR people and explain that through to family circumstances a lot of day-to-day stuff fell through a large hole, and you're catching up now. You might just get a sympathetic Civil Servant to respond to you. :)

I have the form to print out tomorrow. I plan to pay the €400 for this year and last and write a letter with it explaining my circumstances...thanks

Good luck with that. It's obvious that you are willing to pay, just that circumstances didn't cater for it. I wish you well.

What about a house willed to sons & daughters which is being sold & proceeds divvied up ..... it doesnt technically belong to the indivual members of the family , would fees be payable in this instance ?

When the house is being sold on as part of the parent's estate, proof that the NPPR has been paid is requested by the purchaser's solicitor. It is done as part of the searches.

I realise this is another stealth tax but when it was brought in what was the reasoning behind it?

Just out of interest i inhertied a house that has been unused for the past 10 years...it has no heatin(just open fire),no kitchen and is in a very poor condition!it would cost a fortune bring it to any fit state to be lived in,i would go as far as to say it would be cheaper to knock than repair it.do i have to pay i this tax?

i realise tis is another stealth tax but when it was brought in what was the reasoning behind it?

To finance local authorities, most of which had depended on development levies for a large proportion of their income in recent years.

Back