Now that ESB prices are going up.....again....

N

ninsaga

...do we as residential consumers have an alternative source of electricty supply? Or is it that the likes of Airtricity, Viridian & Bord Gas only supply to commercial/industrial users?

ninsaga

I wonder could a resident's association (or a credit union) go to one of the alternative suppliers and bargain for, say, 300 (or 3000) houses?

Sluice

Residents Association

Sluice - very interesting idea.... would ALL the houses have to sign up I wonder order could some naysayers opt out?

As a matter of interest my bill last week was €250+ . We don't use immersion for heating water. House is about 1600 sq. ft and for this time of year this seems high to me - especially as the fatcats are getting their snouts into the trough for another 12-13% over the next 6 months.

Any others examples of typical ESB bills out there? Just like to check if mine is "normal" (whatever that is).

MAC

Re-

Just another bunch of mugs we are again,, this time in sitting back and accepting our dictator style bill paying system!!!!
Rumour has it that Bertie did a deal with G.Bush to run oil through our (suppose to be Port Tunnel) into our cosy Irish homes (which we pay for through the hilt anyway) as we invite friends over to our new social dwellings.. Well, lets face it.. now that a lot of us don't "Booze" it up in the "Boozers" anymore, they're gonna get us some way.........
Happy days ESB, €20,000,000 PROFIT last year and they still fancy a grab of our hard earned cash!!
Nothing but a bunch of S***Bags!!!
Republic of Ireland... R.I.P

Re: Re-

MAC - that looks excessive...we're averaging €100 each bill for similar sized house. Your not trying to heat up the house with the electric over right?

ninsaga

Excessive - ouch!

Thanks Ninsaga!

Have to check with Mrs Mac on the electric oven thing!

But seriously I would have thought we were fairly normal ie. kids leaving TVs on here and there (not the adults of course!). Just think what would have changed in teh past year or so and a couple of things come to mind such as the old gardens lights / sunken lights in kitchen etc. (both of which I am assured are "low wattage" whatever that means...). Apart from that I installed an Americal fridge but I'm sure it had the right letter in the shop which should suggest some form of energy efficiency?

Any suggestions or any other bills based on similar size houses?

Thanks
MAC

esb

I have a lock on my back gate so most of my bills are estimated. Usually around €200 in Dec and €220 in Feb and €200 in April and €180 in June, However I am always in arrears with the estimates ie the Dec should be approx €220 and the Feb one €240 and they rest are fairly ok. What I usually do is over pay my June/Aug/Oct bills and phone in the correct meter readings once I am am back in the black. I have to do something about it too and I am getting in a plumber next week to overhaul my heating system, as its not as efficient as it should be. Also thinking of installing cavity wall insulation at the front and sides of house as it is a mid 70's bungalow and there is absolutely no insulation in those parts at all. There is at the back where I have an extension. Also I have double glazing on windows and patio doors and back door but not on front ( wooden) door so I may also replace that. These latter two options depend on the plumbing costs. He's mentioned taking off all the radiators and flushing them, changing the header tank to a mains supply, putting in a stronger pump. I also have a few other wee jobs when hes here. I have had a lot of problems with heating since the entension about 10 years ago.ie I could run the heating from 7am to 11pm and I would not get even a thimble of hot water. Anyway I find the esb bill a big drain every two months and will have to tackle it one way or another. House is probably about 1600 sq ft.

Re: esb

MAC - what type of central heating are You using?

Aren't there all sorts of cheap/free sources of energy which are being kept quiet because they would result in worldwide financial turmoil? Stuff like fusion at room temperature, running cars on water, etc.

I'll come back when I track down some references.

If the overcoats don't come and get me first.

sunken lights in kitchen etc

Check these first. The wattage is written on the bulbs. We stupidly installed ten of these and later found out that they are 60Watts each. Every time we switch the lights on, it like switching on a 600W bulb!

Prices set by regulator

High prices for electricity are not all the fault of the ESB. They are made to put up the prices so as to make the market attractive for new entrants such as Eirtricity, etc.. The market regulator controls the prices and sets them high so new entrants will see it as an attractive market, regardless of the cost to the consumer.

ESB.... aaaaagggghhh

Ninsaga - We have Gas Fired CH

Another person - could be right about those little lights - will check them this eveing....thx

Notalltheirfault - with respect, I find that hard to believe. Wasn't it the ESB that went to the regulator looking for another load of charges. This occured just after it became known that the lads in Moneypoint were being offered a minimum of something like 87k a year (for everyone) to agree to a survival plan and the AVERAGE EARNINGS OF EVERY EMPLOYEE IN THE ESB WAS something like 69k. I can't imagine that any of their competitors are lumbered with those kind of costs.

MAC

Re: ESB.... aaaaagggghhh

WE built in 1999 so we have double glazing, everything insulated etc, OFCH, Dishwasher, Electtric shower and a gas hob with electric oven. I was horrified at the ESB bills but I think it is down to the light fittings - Losts of spotlights in Kitchen and landing, fancy sconces(2 bulbs each) and chandelier type fittings with 8 bulbs. I have taken to not replacing the bulbs unless I have to. Current(ha!ha!) bills avg. about €175 every two months. Too high.

Slim 8)

esb bills

my last bill was €87 (non-estimated readings)
I must be doing something right although i don't know what. I'm not very energy efficient, i often wash clothes at 60c, do towels & cloths etc. at 90c, i spend at least 10 minutes a day in the shower - have 2 showers a day if i'm going out. I use the oven and hob quite a bit, have a total of 9 light bulbs in my sitting room and 8 in my kitchen.
The only good things i do are never leave tv on standby - its either on or off. And i don't like to use the tumble dryer unless i have to - haven't used it in about 6 weeks. 3 people live in my house, oil heating

Re: esb bills

Maybe you're getting a bulk rate sinead.

:)

-Rd

esb

plumber called last week. stated( naturally ) that heating system was This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language (true) put a little red thingy like a little tin tank into boiler house. system now pressurised and working off mains. piping hot rads within seconds of heat coming on. appear to have buckets of hot water from 1 hours heat ( most I can stand at this time) still testing the system. admittedly only 3 rads out of 14 on but thermo turned down to min and pump also at min. can also control the amount of water running through the immersion tank. ie full flow or nothing at all is so desired. put new valves on all 14 rads. didnt get a price yet. has anyone else heard of this system where there is no header tank? also I assume that the mains while it supplies the water for the system only occasionally actually 'kicks in' otherwise I would be importing fresh water daily and soon would have no system at all. didnt get to talk to plumber properly as I was at work when he was here and he wont return until sometime next week. I can definitely see saving on he esb here. and maybe even on oil.

Sounds great....

Cuchulain,

Sounds excellent, can you provide more details where he comes back?

Thanks
MAC

esb etc

Mac: sure will. have a lot of questions for him. I want to find out kind of system I have myself. Some sort of pressurised one for sure. will come back when I find out.
for what its worth all the fittings appear to be Italian.

Re: esb etc

I wonder if he installed a Cremin tank. See here if this resembles it...

saw this at an ideal homes expo a few years back. Invented by a guy in Kerry I think. It removes the air out of the system reducind air locks in rads etc. I don't have one installed though!

ninsaga

ESB

Lets hope Charlie McCreevy puts pressure on the Irish govt, in his new role, to open up the electricity and gas domestic markets to thorough competition.

Back