Now I've heard it all. - Landlords are entitled to job seekers benefit!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said they were different. The thread is about jobseekers benefit.

The criteria for 'Jobseekers Benefit (self employed)', is that you have ceased your self employment. Not that you temporarily have no income. But that you have ceased. And not voluntarily.

Thanks RedOnion but at the moment anyone self employed can apply for the pandemic payment where they temporarily have no income. They do not have to have ceased their business. Then after the payment ceases they can apply for benefit payment should they still find they’re properties still empty.

can apply for the pandemic payment
Ah, so your thread title and opening post are wrong, and you're referring to the pandemic payment, and not jobseekers at all?

It would have saved everyone a lot of time if you'd started out with that.

Some years ago John Halligan called landlords "Bastards" He may have departed the scene but the poison he spread lives after him.

Ah, so your thread title and opening post are wrong, and you're referring to the pandemic payment, and not jobseekers at all?

It would have saved everyone a lot of time if you'd started out with that.
No. I AM referring to the benefit payment. i was just correcting your incorrect comment that a self employed f/t landlord must actually cease business to receive benefits they are entitled to under the S class contributions. I am talking about claiming social welfare benefit as it pertains to today. Not yesteryear. Pandemic payment is a side note.

Jobseekers Benefit is not a means tested payment. It is based on the fact that you have lost your job and have paid your PRSI.

How does this apply to a self employed landlord, Whose properties are all empty but has paid all their required Benefit PRSI contributions?

Which benefit payment are you actually talking about?

Jobseeker's Benefit (Self-Employed)....

From gov.ie website:
To qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit (Self-Employed), you must satisfy two PRSI contribution conditions.

Condition 1
You must have 156 Class “S” contributions paid or 104 Class “A” contributions paid since entering insurable employment.

Condition 2
You must have 52 Class “S” contributions paid in the governing contribution year.

The governing contribution year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which the claim is made. For example, for claims made in 2019, the governing contribution year is 2017.

Class S PRSI entitles you to the following benefits - see here https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6e5b2e-prsi-class-s-rates/
Class S benefits

• Adoptive Benefit
  • Guardian’s Payment (Contributory)
  • Invalidity Pension (since December 2017)
  • Jobseeker’s Benefit (Self-Employed) (since November 2019)
  • Maternity Benefit
  • Parent’s Benefit (since November 2019)
  • Paternity Benefit
  • State Pension (Contributory)
  • Treatment Benefit (since March 2017)
  • Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s (Contributory) Pension.

Landlords are not entitled to the state pension, even though they pay PRSI.
I believe this has already been established as fact on this forum. (ill try find the link for you. I was surprised myself) Because If they pay the correct class of contributions which I believe is S class then they are entitled to the sate pension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back