Now I've heard it all. - Landlords are entitled to job seekers benefit!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anntionette

Looking at another thread https://askaboutmoney.com/threads/non-resident-landlord-prsi-charge-on-income-tax-bill.193247/
i came across the fact that resident landlords who receive all their unearned income from property and pay a S class PRSI are not only considered self employed but are also entitled to a state pension. Whether they ever worked in the state or not. Ok fine.

But looking a little closer it actually seems from the gov.ie website if you pay the required number of PRSi S class contributions you are ALSO entitled to job seekers benefit.??! How is this possible?

A Mortgage holiday AND free cash!?! (I’m assuming of course the rental income to these self employed landlords have dried up completely for whatever reason and it was there only stream of income but still..)

From gov.ie website:
To qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit (Self-Employed), you must satisfy two PRSI contribution conditions.

Condition 1
You must have 156 Class “S” contributions paid or 104 Class “A” contributions paid since entering insurable employment.

Condition 2
You must have 52 Class “S” contributions paid in the governing contribution year.

The governing contribution year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which the claim is made. For example, for claims made in 2019, the governing contribution year is 2017.

Am I reading this correctly?

Last edited:
Are these non-resident landlords available for immediate work? If not, they cannot qualify.

You have to be seeking a job to qualify for jobseeker's benefit.

Yes currently having no income from empty properties so they can get benefit, of course they have to be available to work, which of course they will find once the property market picks up....

The point is how is it possible those with no income from their properties due to the virus issues can access BENEFIT payments? while accessing mortgage holiday breaks as well?

I don't know the intricacies.

I presume you would have to have both lost all rental income and be seeking a job to replace that income.

You've read the full criteria to qualify for job seekers if self employed?
I think I have. Or am I missing something? but Yes, In as much detail as I can.

3 years of S class contributions AND
Second Contribution Condition
  • From 5th January 2009 a person must have at least 39 reckonable contributions paid or credited in the Governing Contribution Year (GCY) and 13 of these contributions must be paid contributions
OR
  • A person must have at least 26 reckonable contributions paid in both the Governing Contribution Year (GCY) and the year immediately preceding the GCY.
If a person does not have 13 paid contributions in the Governing Contribution Year (GCY) he/she must have the 13 contributions paid in any one of the following years:
  • The two tax years before the relevant tax year
  • The last complete tax year
or
  • The current tax year

and Bingo you’ve satisfied the benefit criteria.
Obviously empty or reduced occupancy of properties. But benefit is NOT means tested.

Well, if they've paid their taxes and complied with every law and fulfil terms, then of course they are entitled to claim.
Yes of course but isn’t anyone surprised that an air B&b 10 property landlord can claim benefit? And still retain properties?

Landlords provide a service like everybody else. It's their occupation. For some reason (probably based on Irish History) Landlords get a bad press. They are human and deserve to be treated like other humans.

It's only in recent years, self employed people can access job seekers benefit, prior to that they only had access to means tested job seekers allowance.

We are all in this together. Lets appreciate any help that the Landlord or the tenent gets .Metinks! C.S.[common sense]

And are you also annoyed that if someone with a house worth €2M , a holiday home , €100k in investments and a €500k pension fund loses their job , they get job seekers benefit with no means test and gets to keep all their assets , or is it only landlords ?

If yes why are landlords different
I never said they were different. The thread is about jobseekers benefit.

The criteria for 'Jobseekers Benefit (self employed)', is that you have ceased your self employment. Not that you temporarily have no income. But that you have ceased. And not voluntarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back